Friday, May 12, 2017

Taking Pictures - On a Hike to Abram's Falls

Taking Pictures





Why do I stop to take a picture?
I must have a thousand like it -
of birds and wildflowers
mountain streams and waterfalls.














Pausing to take a picture
makes me really look.
I see infinite color
angle of sun
play of light and shadow
setting
perspective of size and distance.












When I'm still
I can hear birdsong
babble or murmur or rush of the stream
wind riffling through the leaves
rustle of a small creature.
















I wonder about the other hikers
who pass me by not looking
at the vista I see
or the beauty of creation
intent on their destination
 or conversation


.

I am intent on the journey.
It is my meditation.
If the path is steep
I focus on my breath -
not for meditation
but for survival.
Breath is part of the journey, too.








Stopping to take a picture
Allows me to renew my breath
Slow my heart
Awaken my senses

-->
And the journey goes on.

No comments:

Post a Comment