Tuesday, June 9, 2020

Quarantine Log, May 31 - June 6

Sunday, May 31

Beautiful clear cool day just like May should be.  Bill finished some mowing and trimming while I finished work on the flower beds near the house.  As we were eating late lunch on the deck, Bill and I decided that we would change our plans.  Indian Boundary doesn't open until June 4.  We decided that the weather was perfect for a trip to Roan Mountain SP and a hike to Jane Bald.  We haven't been in several years.  

Laura came for a visit mid-afternoon but we were not able to connect with David today.

Mid-day, I decided to take out steaks and have Bonnie over for dinner because the weather is so perfect and I always love a grilled steak. Bonnie does, too!  Kathy came a little after 5 for mint juleps and Bonnie arrived a little after six.  We had a great time talking about life and the pandemic and the protests.  I was shocked that it was nearly 10 when Bonnie left.  Kathy went home before supper.

My bread-making today produced another flat failure.  I am determined to master this!

Riots over the killing of yet another black person at the hands of police or vigilantes have erupted all over the country during the past few days. In Knoxville they have been mostly peaceful but not in Nashville and other major cities.  Trump has been hiding out in the White House tweeting his malicious messages that just inflame a bad situation.

Over the weekend, Knoxville had its biggest spike in Covid in weeks.  Loudon County has inched up to 143.


Monday, June 1

I was excited to start an adventure this morning.  We got away about 9:30 in the RV (mi 96,122), and arrived at Roan Mtn SP campground before 2.  We stopped for a picnic lunch at Sycamore Shoals SP in Elizabethton.  We have visited and toured this history site on a previous trip.  It commemorates the history of the "Over-mountain Men" in the initial settlement of Tennessee by non-natives.

After setting up camp we though we would take a short walk along the Doe River which runs through the campground and park.  There are trails on either side.  We went a short way on one side, then went back to the road and crossed over to the path on the other side, known as Fred Behrand Trail.  Instead of going a short distance and turning back, we just kept going.  From our trail map we new that the trail looped up and around the campground with a short connector back to the camping area.  What we didn't know was how long or hilly the trail would be.  The trail was in good condition (better condition than I) and we saw a nice stand of mountain laurel near the top still holding their blooms.  Rhododendron were not blooming yet.  The park if famous for its rhododendron and nearby Roan Mountain has a rhododendron trail and festival every year in late June. (cancelled this year because of Covid-19). This turned out to be more of a hike than we planned - up, up up over the ridge and finally down to ford a creek before finding the connector which took us back to the campground.  My phone and FitBit both say about 6500 steps or about 2 1/2 miles for both trails.  I'm glad I had at least one of my trekking poles and my hiking shoes.  I don't think I would have attempted it without either.  It was a solitary walk for the two of us.  Our campsite is peaceful but not really quiet.  The night is cool enough for a campfire.

Roan Mtn site 12A
Doe River


Up, up, up

Mountain Laurel

Fording the creek

Cool enough for a campfire





Tuesday, June 2

The morning started with a hearty breakfast of steak (left-over from Sunday), eggs, grits and toast.  We need lots of energy for the hike ahead.  By 10 we had made our way up the mountain to Carver's Gap (5500 ft) at the NC/TN state line and Appalachian Trail.  The parking lot was almost full but we got one of the last slots.  We saw that the road up to the rhododendron gardens and overlook was still closed.  That nixed our picnic lunch plans.  We hike on the AT 0.6 mi to Round Bald, elev 5827 ft, then down Engine Gap and up to Jane Bald (elev 5806 ft). The climb was challenging for me but I eventually make it!  

You may notice that the banner/background photo for this blog is from Round Bald several years ago.

Given our long hike yesterday, we decided not to continue to Grassy Bald, (elev 6100 ft and another 0.4 mi).  We did that once and while the views are beautiful they are really not different. The 360 degree views from the balds, overlooking NC and TN are spectacular!  The wind was fierce and chilly when we started, but slowed to a nice breeze later.  It was a perfect had for hiking: clear and not hot!

Carvers Gap

Not to Round Bald yet
Round Bald, Elev 5827
On the AT going down to Engine Gap


Jane Bald is the next goal

Many steps

We made it.  Beautiful!


More pictures are on Google photos album for Roan Mountain 2020.

After our hike, we drove down the mountain to the park visitor center for our picnic and then into the little town of Roan Mtn to get some lighter fluid.  On the way back we detoured to the Miller homestead, a charming historic farm with family cemetery still in use.

We made it back to the camp by 4:30.  I was pretty exhausted, so relaxed by kicking back and trying to ID some of the trees around me without a tree guide.  In the overstory, I know white oak, poplar, maple and maybe sweetgum, possible beech and ash.  The understory is mostly rhododendron.  BBQ for supper, so not cooking, just relax and reheat.

We've been without any news since Monday morning.  Unplugging is good, but also a little unnerving when I'm used to news reports at least 3 times a day.  The campground is supposed to have internet and I show that I'm connected, but I'm not really connected to anything.  In a way, I'm glad to be forced to unplug from the daily stream of bad and worse.  The virus and now the civil unrest have shaken the country and even have shaken me, the eternal optimist.

Sitting here in the mountain camp, hiking on Roan Mountain, the world has seemed far away.  The people we've encountered are just enjoying being outside, walking, playing, being family, communing with nature and with each other - all appropriately distanced mostly.

Wednesday, June 3

We broke camp and left the part at 9:45 so we could get home in time to get a birthday card in the mail for David.  I took us an hour to get from the park to I-26 at Johnson City and another hour to get to I-40 junction.  We were home before 1:45.  Ending mileage 96,485 - 363 miles round trip.


Thursday, June 4

Today was bread-making day.  I will eventually master the sourdough.  This loaf wasn't out of the oven until after 8 pm, so I will wait until tomorrow breakfast to cut into it. It looks better, but it is crusting over before fully rising.  The dough seems too wet and soft and it is too soft to make a proper slash. I used the dutch over again and let it rise some before putting it in the hot oven.

Claire and Amanda came over mid-day and washed windows in the front.  The Patterson repair man cam later and replaced the burner controls on the range.

Loudon County is up to 157 cases.

Friday, June 5

Recording day.  Today's was a great message, for June 7 service.  Kristie spoke out against racism and finished with a beautiful Franciscan blessing.  Here is the link.

Yesterday's bread is much better, but I'm not there yet in quality.  More trial and hopefully not too much more error is needed.

We spent some time watching and listening to memorials for George Floyd and Black Lives Matter protests.  The protest and movement have exploded around the country but have become more peaceful.

Loudon County has jumped to 165 cases of  Covid.


Saturday, June 6

Bill installed the AC in the front bedroom at my request and I did a little rearranging.  I made a brief trip to Tractor Supply for bird seeds and Home Depot for straw mulch and landscape fabric for the garden.  Both I had ordered online for curbside pick-up.  Worked like a charm.  I hope that stores keep this going!  I am considering boycotting Home Depot.  It is family owned and the family are big Trump contributors.  I hate to contribute to their wealth.  I know my boycott won't make any difference to them and it would be inconvenient to me.  It is just the principle of it!

My main project for the afternoon was making a digital recording of an audio cassette that Anna sent Bill.  It is of Jim Whitaker talking about his WWII experiences.  After Bill reviews it, I will try emailing it to her or posting on YouTube.

Loudon County reported 168 cases today, an increase of 28 over the past week; with 133 recovered
TN - 26,071 cases and 417 deaths.

No comments:

Post a Comment