Sunday, February 7, 2021

Pandemic Times, January 31-Feb 6

 Sunday, January 31

This is the last day of a very long month.  The enforced rhythm of slow Sundays continues and the January weather continues to discourage outdoor activity beyond getting the mail and feeding the birds.  I give thanks that I have those beautiful little creatures to entertain me. I give thanks for the squirrels as well, even though I fuss about the bird seed they steal.  I've ordered two more cones for the feeder poles in hopes that I can confine the squirrels to eating the abundant seeds that fall to the ground.

Lady Vols also entertained us in the afternoon and Laura paid a visit to review our newly revised wills.  Now we need to find witness signatures.  She brought us some exceptionally delicious lemon cookies made by Amanda.

Gloomy January day


Monday, February 1

This time last year we were in Titusville, Florida, parking our RV in Kevin's driveway and enjoying the birds off Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge.   (Link to last year.) We had spent a few days in Cedar Key, FL before getting to Titusville.  We decided that we would not make our winter trip this year.  Even though we travel in the RV, we would be exposing ourselves needlessly.  Next Year!  Instead, we woke up to a light snowfall, about 1/2 inch accumulation.  We decided it was a good morning to stay in bed, so we didn't finish breakfast/brunch until 11:30. I made some real grits for myself and Bill had his preferred boxed instant stuff to go with our eggs, sausage and toast.

Light snow didn't last very long


I started again on mask-making and after a long conversation with Anna, I added masks for her and Jake.  We had no need to go anywhere today, but I managed a mile on the treadmill.  

For supper we (almost) finished the lamb, served with rice and gravy.  We got three generous meals out of that roast and I have a tiny bit left to add to some soup for lunch.


Tuesday, February 2

Goundhog Day!  Our resident groundhogs had a bit of early snow flurries.  His cousin Phil says six more weeks of winter and he's probably right.  There is a huge snowstorm making its way across the norther tier of states.  Today (and everyday!) I'm glad to be a southerner with only a scattering of snow.  I finished the masks before it was time to take Amanda to softball, so I took them to the PO along with a package of calendars and valentines for the Missouri kids. The snow on the mountains was beautiful in the afternoon sunlight, but I could not get a clear photo with my phone.

The dishwasher wouldn't wash this morning.  After much trouble-shooting, Bill called Patterson's Appliance where we bought it.  While I was in town, a service person came out and got it fixed, no parts required - a good example of the benefit of doing business locally.

The best news of the day is that the vaccines have been opened for those age 70+ and Bill is now on the county waiting list.

I baked the ham for supper and served it with fried grits.  I'll have lots of ham for the refrigerator and freezer.


Wednesday, February 3

The main event of the day was taking Amanda to Aveda's in Turkey Creek for a haircut. First we came back here for a light lunch.  After her appointment, we picked up Thai take-out for supper.  On the way home, we stopped to get a few packs of early spring seeds.  My ambition is to plant them in containers to get a jump on fresh lettuce, spinach, kale and chard.

Clever squirrel keeps us entertained


Thursday, February 4

Juncos visiting today joined the usual assortment of birds at the feeders - chickadee, titmouse, cardinal, goldfinch, house finch, white-throated sparrow and mourning dove are daily regulars.  We often see nuthatch and occasionally have a downy or red-bellied woodpecker.  Blue-jays, robins and crows are around every day, too, but not usually at the feeders.

Downy Woodpecker

White-breasted Nuthatch

White-throated Sparrow


I have picked back up on ready Dr. Eddie Glaude's biography of James Baldwin. "Begin Again: James Baldwin's America." It is as much commentary on our political times as excellent story and analysis of James Baldwin.  I have ordered "Caste" by Isabel Wilkerson and "White Fragility" by Robin DiAngelo. I also ordered Neil deGrasse Tysonn's "Astrophysics for People in a Hurry, and sent the young people's version to Owen. I should be set for February reading, even if we get snowed in!

I made my favorite, Charleston Shrimp and Grits, with the addition of ham.  Spinach Salad with marinated artichokes, pickled beets and green olives. Garnished with sourdough croutons and shredded Parmesan.



Numbers:

Loudon County: 61 deaths; 5348 total cases; pos rate 17.6% (yesterday it was 44%) on low test counts

TN: 736,370 total cases; 10,202 deaths

US: 26,660,900+ total cases


Friday, February 4

No video recording this week because in-house worship service is planned for Sunday.  I will not be attending yet because the positivity rates (almost 30% this week) are still too high.  Bill now has a vaccine appointment at Tennova Hospital in Turkey Creek on Wednesday (2/10). We are excited about that!  It may be a month before my age group opens.  I hope that by then vaccine will be more widely available.

In the afternoon, we went across the river and found one of the eagles in residence.  It is our first sighting in over a week.  We enjoyed a cruise around the neighborhood before going home.  This is what passes for an outing these days!



6:20 pm
6:24 pm: the sky changes quickly


I finished reading "Begin Again" and I highly recommend this excellent bio/analysis/current event perspective.  I started on "Caste" which is a very short read summarizing a brief history of our "isms." Next in line is "White Fragility." I miss good conversation about books and shared ideas.


Saturday, February 6

Our contest with the squirrels continues.  Yesterday we added cones to two of the feeders.  Today, the crafty squirrel figured out how to jump on the flamingo and over the cone to get to a feeder.  Flamingo removed.  Now he/she's figured out that it is easy to jump onto the birdbath and over to the feeder.  What will our next move be? To move the birdbath, of course.  We will see what happens next.





I am posting my thoughts prepared for my Sunday School on a separate page: 

No comments:

Post a Comment