Saturday, March 27, 2021

Pandemic Times, March 14-20

Sunday, March 14

Where will I find my sabbath this day - or this week?  I spent some time in reading and reflection to prepare a message for the New Vision Class.  Then I watched a Universalist Church video from Woodstock, FT, that Anna had recommended. And thus the morning passed.  BBall started at 1 pm. AL won (barely) the SEC Championship over LSU. We were rooting for LSU, of course.

After the game it was almost time to order supper. RT was out of salmon again, so we both ordered shrimp, Bill fried and mine grilled.  They messed up the order and we got no broccoli on either order but an extra order of fried shrimp. Oh, Well! We will have several meals.

Laura kept us posted on Amanda's golf progress throughout the afternoon.  She is playing in a tournament at Tellico Village this weekend.  Yesterday she shot 101 and today she ended up with 94 - an excellent showing.


Monday, March 15

I'll have to add chasing squirrels to my exercise plan! Several times a day, I run outside to "bark" at the squirrel and chase him/her off the feeder.  At least I've gotten it down to just one feeder that they are robbing.

Most of the morning was consumed with following up on inquiries for the church job.  We have a dozen. Going forward, I will follow-up with them as they come in, if any more do.  I worked some more on this blog, catching up from last week, until Bill was ready for my help.  He got 200 pounds of sand this morning and we used it in the umbrella base.  The umbrella is now up and functional.




Amanda had her first high school softball game today.  Last season was cancelled due to Covid.  She didn't get any hits, but she fielded well.

Shrimp po-boys with leftover fried shrimp for early supper.


Tuesday, March 16

I got out early for a 9:30 grant meeting at Good Samaritan, just Mary Ann and me with Lynne on FaceTime. We are working on another dental service grant. This is a $5000 planning grant from Trinity Health Foundation.  If we get it, we will submit the program grant to them at the end of the summer for $50,000.  It felt special and at the same time normal to be out for a meeting and good to greet people in person.  After the meeting I did my grocery shopping and drive-through banking and made it home for lunch.  I made a skillet of cornbread to go with my greens and opened a can of cannellini beans - lunch for several days.

Amanda had another softball home game so I took her in to the field, came home to prep supper and Bill and I went back for the 5:30 game. Amanda got a solid hit - line drive to center field. She also fielded well, including catching a fly ball.

When we got home, I cooked some pasta and quickly sauteed the grilled shrimp and a little ham with garlic and served with a side salad.


Wednesday, March 17 - St. Patrick's Day

I'm not sure why everyone makes such a fuss about St. Patrick's Day.  It is neither a civic nor religious holiday, but if very popular. We not not celebrate.  I worked some on the grant and had a 10:30 phone meeting with the director of TWU's dental hygiene program.  That helped define some of the parameters of our proposed project.  She will send additional data.

Amanda's game was called off because of rain as a big storm system is moving through the area.  I took her to practice at the gym instead and had to go back and pick her up because they finished early at 5:30 and neither Mike nor Laura was available.

I cooked cod filets (or fillets?), smothered with peppers and onions and surrounded by new potatoes, all roasted in my handy cast-iron skillet. This was a great one-dish meal, served with braised spinach.



Thursday, March 18

After breakfast, I worked a little more on the grant. My part is the budget, but to do the budget, I really have to get into defining the main activities that we are funding. In this case, we are bringing the TN Wesleyan Mobile Dental Unit to Lenoir City to provide dental hygiene service for our clients. My conversation with the director yesterday helped narrow the scope of work that we will do.

I needed to feed my sourdough starter, so I also made a focaccia.  That required a quick trip to Aldi for some additional ingredients.  Later in the afternoon, Bill and I went for a walk through the campground which opened this week.  It was our first walk through there in several months. Now that the weather is warmer, we expect to go back to our usual route.

We had fish again - pan-sauteed salmon fillets, accompanied by home-made marinara over angel hair and a salad.  AND Focaccia.  I took a portion of the loaf to the Brock's.

I had word that the church staff-pastor-parish committee is scheduled to meet our prospective new pastor next Tuesday - Rev. Linda Bass.


Friday, March 19

The day started wet and cool and stayed cool & cloudy all day. I woke up early and since going back to sleep didn't seem possible, I got up to read and catch up on this journal.  I wrote a short reflection based on today's scripture and devotional reading.  Before going to bed I wrote another cryptic reflection.  I'll share both at the link below.

https://flowersandfeathers.blogspot.com/2021/03/reflection-on-john-12-20-26.html

We had another excessive data charge from AT&T this morning - 9 GB by the time we started up the computers at 10 am.  I spent the rest of the morning on tech support with no resolution except to have the issue escalated.  I think they have a bug in their hardware or software that is sending an incorrect reading.  I had to change the name and password on our in-house network which meant I had to change it on every device that connects to the network, 9 in all.  This made for a long and frustrating morning.

After lunch and a little relaxation, I finished my part of the grant and sent it to the other team members for review.  We are good at critiquing one another without anyone taking offense.

The Matzeks are going to Cookeville for a softball tournament, so we went over to get LeRoy for a sleepover. While we were there, Mike worked on my right hip which has been giving me a lot of trouble.  It hurts in the joint when I walk more than a few hundred yards, but not in everyday activity around the house.

By 4:30 we were ready to watch TN Men's BBall in their first game of the NCAA tourney.  They played poorly and lost to a much lower-seeded team.  

For Friday night we chose to celebrate Taco Night.  We haven't had beef in quite a while, since I made BiBimBap two weeks ago.


Saturday, March 20

We were up early again today.  I don't think LeRoy woke me up, but he was ready to go out and bark at some squirrels.   Coffee, breakfast and a few house chores took most of the morning.  There was time for reading, reflection and journaling.  Today or tomorrow, I plan to watch a video service of our prospective pastor.  I see on FB that she has done a series on Wil Cantrell's book on Atonement and one on a Fr. Richard Rohr book.  Interesting!

Basketball was on the TV off and on through the afternoon.  While sort of listening, I spent a couple of hours on my increasingly slower computer trying to get applications out and information sent to the committee.  Updating Church Facebook with Holy Week events consumed way to much time!  I wanted to find just the right picture for each event.  I finally got it done like I wanted it.  

We took LeRoy home mid-afternoon.  When we got back, we took a walked through the campground.  It was hopping, this being the first weekend open and the last weekend of spring break for many schools.

Forsythia is Spring

Amanda had a day full of softball at the tourney in Cookeville.  Friday night games were postponed because of weather, so she had five (5) games on Saturday.  She had 4 hits and 1 walk.  She got on base and crossed home plate more than once.  Wish I had been there to cheer her on!

BiBimBap on the menu tonight.  I think this was my best effort so far.


No comments:

Post a Comment