Wednesday, February 15, 2023

Salt and Light - January 30 - February 5

Again, I'm starting Sunday morning, Feb 5, and working my way back through the week.

Early this Sunday morning, way too early, I woke up and couldn't get back to sleep.  I hate it when that happens!  Finally 6:30 arrived and I got up for coffee.  The living room was cold.  The sky was beginning to lighten.  Even my little birds were not up yet.  I read my daily Discipline, Psalm 112, and a couple of blogs that I follow occasionally.  Each reading in its own way pointed toward a common path, interpreting all scripture, Old and New, from the Jesus perspective.  Today's SS lesson is a reflection on Matthew 5:21-37, a continuation of the Sermon on the Mount. This is the teaching on Salt and Light. I did a sermon based on this back in 2012.  Re-reading, I find it still relevant. Salt and Light. My readings often reference Fr. Richard Rohr, Particularly his book, "The Universal Christ." I ordered it this morning and the workbook that goes with it.  It's about time that I study it.

Biscuits are ready and it's time now to shower and move forward into this day.

Sunday afternoon I'm settled into my easy chair again, watching the little birds come and go. I always expect to see the regulars - chickadees, titmouse, house finch and goldfinch. The white-throated sparrows, doves and little pine warbler clean up the seeds spilled by the careless cardinals.  This afternoon a downy woodpecker stopped by for a snack, along with their bigger cousin, red-breasted woodpecker. I nuthatch came and flew away so quickly that I couldn't tell which one it was, brown-headed, white-breasted or red-breasted. Maybe it will come back later.

This has been a busy week with something on the calendar every day. Monday (Jan 30), Claire was home for an infusion treatment.  Of course, the Nana Uber took her.  Since her appointment was not until the afternoon, I planned to work on a batch of sourdough in the morning.  I got started early so that I had the loaves in the refrigerator for the final proofing in time to pick her up at 1. I had time to go to Whole Foods and Birds Unlimited during the wait time. Loaves were ready to start baking at 5 pm.  They turned out pretty good.  I have new cast iron small pans that I'm using, one for bottom and one for cover. With these smaller pans, I can cook two loaves at once, cutting down my oven time.

New cast iron small pans
Pretty and good, too!

Tuesday, Denise and I worked on our pre-school book cataloguing project at the elementary school for a couple of hours.  After that, I met with Evelyn, the pantry manager at Good Samaritan to collect some data and "success stories" for the United Way grant application. The remainder of this miserable rainy day I spent working on the grant - good rainy day work.  I almost finished my part, just lacking a little more data from Evelyn.  I had planned to go to the Loudon County Democratic Women's meeting where the program was on climate change.  However, I decided against making the long drive to Tellico Village on a dark and stormy night.

I called Wednesday "torture day." The torture started with my semi-annual visit to my dermatologist. She took one biopsy of a spot in my scalp that has been bothering me and froze a dozen benign keratoses that itch and irritate and are unsightly.  From there, I had a light lunch (alone) at Maple St. Biscuit Co. and then on to the dentist.  I got away with just a good cleaning, so not too bad. 

Thursday has become Yoga day at church.  A group of us had lunch at Casa Fiesta.  Each week the lunch group is a slightly different mix, but most of us are regulars now.  I spent the rest of the afternoon working on the UW Pantry grant.

Friday was almost a stay-at-home day.  Bill had arranged to drop off the Xterra at the repair shop he uses in West Knox for a diagnostic and possible repair related to the check-engine light.  He offered to take me out to eat - an offer I never refuse!  We finally settled on Bonefish Grill in Turkey Creek since we both wanted fish or seafood.  He had a grilled fish entree and I had a shrimp and scallop pasta dish. My serving was so huge that the leftovers were enough for Saturday supper for both of us, with the addition of a few more shrimp and a salad.  We don't often eat out together and we both enjoyed the early dinner.

Have I talked about ONE HEART-ONE COMMUNITY? This project was conceived by my Venezuelan friend, Raquel Leal-Alvarez, a very talented and accomplished woman about Laura's age.  I connected with her through GSC about six years ago when she, her husband and her daughter immigrated here.  When I heard about her dream project, I knew it was something that Trinity UMC would support, with my encouragement.  We have provided her space to set up a community closet with clothing for recent immigrants who often arrive with very little, if anything, warm to wear.  The closet is open to anyone in need, but the primary outreach will be to recent immigrants.  No cost, no questions.  It will be open on the 1st Saturday of the month or by appointment. We still have a long way to go in getting the word out about what we are offering.  Collecting clothing is no problem. When word gets out, clothing pours in.  The problem will be in controlling the flow and getting it out to those in need.

Anyway, I spent my morning, 10 am until 1 pm at the church with Raquel.  She had not advertised, so we only had one person come, but we had the opportunity to discuss how she might organize and advertise more effectively.



Saturday Sunset:

Later Sunday afternoon I spent some time in the garden, surveying the work to be done.  I will have to work up my stamina for garden chores.  I'm in winter-out-of-shape mode. A winter garden is a dreary place. There is so much work to do, and I did very little.


Asparagus fronds to be cleared

Remains of okra and merigolds

Okra stalks and remains of purple-hull peas

Dead iris leaves and stems in the pond to be cleared

A lot of work to make a pretty flower garden again

Sage to be pruned and tomato cages to remove

It should be a rose bush.  It will be.

Hard to believe that it will bloom again, but it will. 
That is the faith and hope of the gardener.
Seasons come and go, life and death and rebirth.



No comments:

Post a Comment