Tuesday, August 25, 2026

End of August - Bountiful but not Beautiful

The end is coming.  The August garden is not a beautiful sight.  The weeds and grass are taking over some areas. Summer plants that have given their all are fading and need to be removed.  But the garden is not through giving yet.  This week's harvest was again bountiful.  


The bush beans are done, but the pole beans are producing prolifically.  I've already canned more than I have in years and there are more to come.  Tomatoes are slowing down, except for the little Juliets which will probably keep going until front.  They seem less susceptible to the blights that consume the other tomatoes.  Okra is coming into its own.  Fried okra may not be the healthiest, but it is the best by far. I can't believe I still found a few little cucumbers.  They don't usually last this long.

If the weather and my busy schedule will just break a little, I can pull out the bush beans and plant fall greens.  There is still time.


Last evening was cool enough to sit out on the deck after supper.  Hummingbirds fought one another to protect their feeding rights. A flock of birds (unknown) flew over. Peace descended as the did the sun.

A chittering flock flying low
toward the southeast.

Do they speak of 
the end of summer?

Are they bound
for some later holiday?

Do they know the beauty
of this late August evening?

Do they dream
of tropical shore when they rest at night?

No comments:

Post a Comment