Sunday, September 20, 2020

Pandemic Times, September 13 - 19

Sunday, September 13

We left the Missouri Whitakers before breakfast.   We were a little concerned about David & Trisha having been to a wedding Saturday night and wanted to get on the road early in any case.  The drive home always seems so much longer.  In a way, it is, because of the time zone change and also because we do not have the anticipation of the visit ahead.

We are always happy to be leaving on a trip. We look forward to breaking our routine and enjoying different activities, people and food, especially if our little ones are involved. We are always just as glad to be back home to our comfortable chairs, our comfortable bed, our comfortable routines - all the comforts (and quiet) of home. 


Monday, September 14

Bill had his annual physical this morning so I had the house to myself until almost noon.  After breakfast of banana bread and peanut butter (we are out of eggs), I did my yoga routine.  I have done yoga in months and I'm feeling stiff, especially after a long drive and not enough excersize.  I enjoyed puttering around, filling the feeders, doing dishes, picking okra and Purple Hull peas and prepping supper.  The peacefulness of a slow moving day has been good for me.

Numbers:

TN Dept of Health: 174,274 cases; 2097 deaths; 0-10, 8526 cases; 11-20, 22665 cases

Loudon County: 1049 cases; 98 active; case rate 15.72; pos rate 10.6%


Tuesday, September 15 

Happy Birthday Trisha!

I spent the middle of the day, 10 am until 2 pm, as a volunteer at the Loudon County Democratic headquarters.  This year  instead of the usual storefront we are 'headquartered' at Lenoir City Park on the lake, shelter #5.  With me were Melanie from Trinity and Paula, a newcomer to Loudon County living in Tellico Village.  Most the the volunteers are villagers. We had about a dozen 'customers' and gave out all our yard signs as well as other paraphenalia. Buttons were the most popular item.

Melanie and her little Jubal


I left in time to get Amanda to Mike's office a little before 3 pm.  They were headed for a golf practice at Egwani in Alcoa.  The district tournament is there tomorrow.  

I forgot to write that Claire was sick last weekend with a stomach bug.  She had to get a Covid test and spend Saturday, Sunday and Monday in an isolation dorm, really an efficiency apartment. Laura went over to help her.  Her test came back today negative (as expected) so she moved back to her regular dorm rooms.  She is better but not completely well.

Numbers:

TN Dept of Health: 175, 231 cases; 2127 deaths; 0-10, 8556 cases; 11-20, 22,785

Loudon County: 1054 cases; 92 active; 6 deaths; case rate 16.91; pos rate 11%


Wednesday, September 16

Hurricane Sally came ashore at Orange Beach/Gulf Shores, AL early this morning after sitting off the coast and dumping rain for a couple of days.  I was a Cat 2 but damage from Mobile to Pensacola was significant because it was so slow moving.  Our friends have significant property damage and we are waiting to hear about the condo we have book for Oct 5. By contrast, our weather has been beautiful with cool nights and mild days. 

Dogwoods are beginning to turn

Amanda felt like she did not do well in the district golf match.  In fact, she was #6 in the field with a 93 on 18 holes, and only 2 strokes behind the #5 girl and 12 strokes better than last year.  That has been about her average score. Only 5 girls advance to regionals.  She was not too upset about that.

I had a new bird at the feeder closest to my easy chair this afternoon.  It is a rare delight to add a new bird to my life list.  This little Red-Breasted Nuthatch looks almost like his/her cousin the White-Breasted Nuthatch that I see regularly.  He/she is smaller and has a bold black eye streak, which is what caught my attention. Amazingly, I was able to get a picture through the blinds.

Red-Breasted Nuthatch



Thursday, September 17

I woke up today with the intent to make my favorite blueberry streusel cake as muffins to take to our monthly lunch.  We met again at Connie's house.  Before I got too far in the process, Bill decided that he wanted to go for a walk. We abbreviate our route so I would have time for baking.

The muffins were ready before Kathy was there to pick me up.  We had good conversation as usual while we ate our sack lunches.  Based on Connie's recommendation, I am now ready "The Last Ballad" by Wiley Cash.  It is about a woman involved in the union organizing in the Caroline textile mills in 1929.  I was able to check it out through the Tennessee Electronic Library system.  I've already forgotten the other two titles that I was interested in.  Kathy was the photographer this week, so she is not pictured.



After supper, I listened in on the Loudon County Dems monthly Zoom meeting.  I don't write much about politics, but is consumes a good bit of my time and thought.  I believe, along with so many others, that Trump is a clear and present danger to our democracy, but his defeat is by no means certain.  I am trying to do my small 'for what it's worth' part to change the trajectory that the country has been on for the last few years.

Numbers:

TN Dept of Health: 178,140 cases; 2164 deaths; 0-10, 8,698; 11-20, 23,290

Loudon County: 1074 cases; 85 active; 6 deaths; case rate 18.8


Friday, September 18

Video recording went on as usual.  The Bishop has announced that churches can re-open for indoor worship beginning this Sunday.  Four of us met to plan for re-starting worship.  We decided to have the outdoor singing as planned on September 27 and continue with that for the following 3 week, through October 18.  We hope to resume indoor services on October 25.  We will continue to record on Friday at least until then.

As I sit quietly on my deck in the afternoon, the deer come, not afraid. 
Today, they are eating the fallen persimmons.

Renee Hoyos
The Loudon County Dems hosted candidates Renee Hoyos and Marquita Bradshaw at Lenoir City Park at 5:30, so I went back into town for the event.  We are fortunate to have 2 outstanding nominees, both female, both environmentalists. What a miracle it would be to send both of them to Washington - Hoyos to the House and Bradshaw to the Senate!

Marquita Bradshaw
A pretty good turnout








The very red sun is caused by the high level smoke from the extensive wildfires in the west.  Taken from "Sunset Point" near the Brock's house, but this is not an ordinary sunset red. Notice the Ayers house in the center.


Saturday, September 19

We woke up to a 60 degree cool clear morning so of course a walk through the park was at the top of our agenda.  We are enjoying sleeping with the window open we haven't used AC in several days. Bill spent a lot of time working on the boat rail project.  He is modifying the bow rail so he can install a trolling motor.  If we want to keep fishing, we need a trolling motor. The anchor is too much to deal with for fishing.

I did a few household chores but not much except making fried rice for supper.



Numbers:

Nationally, we have hit 200,000 Covid deaths.

TN Dept of Health: 181,436 cases; 2,216 deaths; 0-10, 8863; 11-20, 23,878

Loudon County: 1099 cases; 94 active; 6 deaths; case rate 17.17/100,000



No comments:

Post a Comment