Sunday, October 11, 2020

Pandemic Times, September 20 - 26

Sunday, September 20 

Bill needed to use a drill press for the boat rail project, so we walked up to the Brocks.  Bill and Wayne went to Wayne's shop and Kathy and I had a good visit.  It was almost lunch time when we got back home.  I puttered around in the afternoon and completely forgot to Zoom in for the Smoky Mountain District Conference.  I was nominated for a District At-Large slot for the Holston Annual Conference in June.

Bonnie came over for steaks on the grill.  The weather was perfect for sitting outside but cool enough as the sun was going down that we decided to eat inside.  Perfectly delicious meal!


Monday, September 21

Today, Amanda started 7:30 am strength-training workouts with her softball team.  My job and pleasure will be to pick her up at school at about 8:15 am and take her home.  Bill had an appointment with a doctor so we didn't take a walk. I had a mid-morning meeting with Pastor Kristie followed by lunch with Bonnie.

In the afternoon I had a long conversation with Gwen.  She hasn't been well and we haven't talked in a long while.  I was (am) aware of our political differences, but that didn't pose an issue. I called her to talk about our Sunday School class since I learned from Pastor Kristie that she and Mickey are retiring from teaching and from most other church duties due to their age and health.  We talked mostly about her health.

This evening Bill and I started a new Masterpiece Mystery series - Van de Volk.  It look like one that we will enjoy.


Tuesday, September 22

The big event of the day was kayaking on Melton Hill Lake.  We thought we would get out on the lake by late morning, but with one thing and another it was almost 1 pm by the time we were launching.  Bill had to run an errand in town, then get the kayaks from the Matzek's house, then get crickets for bait.  I spend all morning looking for my fishing license and then finally gave up and ordered a replacement.

Being on the lake in the kayak was a great joy.  The weather was perfect, just slightly overcast.  Fishing was poor but I was mostly interested in paddling.  I went into the first cove across the lake and just sat - looking and listening.  I watched a pair of kingfishers fighting over a prime fishing spot, but I wasn't able to capture their picture.  Bill caught several bluegills and a small smallmouth bass.  Catch and release is our motto!  

The lake was peaceful and shared that peace with me.

My little blue-gill

Bill's favorite spot

Bill's small smallmouth

My favorite cove





Numbers

TN Dept of Health: 185,148 cases; 2,261 deaths; 0-10 - 9062 cases; 11-20 - 24,462 cases

Loudon County: 1,121 cases; 101 active; 17.8 case rate; 7.4% pos rate

US: 6.9+ million cases; 200,443 deaths


Wednesday, September 23

In the morning, I made 3 sunflower print masks, one each for Laura, Trisha and me. Right after lunch I had a dental appointment with Dr. Barbee. 

I made my menus and shopping list for the Whitaker family visit and trip to Fall Creek Falls.  They will arrive in time for supper on Friday and we will be together through breakfast on Tuesday.


Thursday, September 24

After I picked up Amanda and took her home I went back into town for groceries.  I had the biggest list I've had in months as I anticipate feeding the family for five days.  I will start will hamburger steaks, gravy, mashed potatoes and green beans for Friday's supper.

I spend the rest of the day baking and prepping.  I made gluten-free blueberry scones from scratch, which was somewhat of a production.  The apple-cinnamon-oatmeal cookies were a little easier.  I used dried apricots instead of apples and added some golden raisins to sweeten the cookie a bit more.  The kids love them.

For Bill's supper, I cooked a pork tenderloin that I had on-hand, knowing that the leftover would be great with biscuits for breakfast on Sunday.

View from my favorite chair



Friday, September 25

The morning was consumed with video recording and a short lunch with Bonnie.  The afternoon was spent getting ready for THE arrival.

They arrived a little after 6.  I already had most of the supper prepped.  The evening was nice so we had some outdoor time before supper.  The little ones were glad to be free to run around.  Laura, Mike and Amanda came over after supper and brought apple pie for dessert.  Amanda is becoming quite an accomplished baker.


Saturday, September 26

Saturday started with the traditional breakfast of pancakes and bacon (gluten-free, of course). After breakfast and clean-up we took a walk to the overlook with Owen and Allison on their bicycles.  We spent the afternoon just playing and hanging out outside.







The Matzek's came over for supper.  I had gotten several Papa Murphy $5 large cheese, sausage and pepperoni pizzas and each person added their favorite toppings. 

Owen had gathered some rocks and made a fire ring.  After supper, he and Amanda were able to make a small fire despite the recent rain.  We had a grand family evening.







No comments:

Post a Comment