Saturday, August 28, 2021

August 16-22

 Monday, August 16

Yesterday afternoon, I picked vegetables so I would be ready to cook them for lunch today.  Pastor Linda came for lunch and a visit I prepared a garden vegetable meal with the bonus of cornbread.  We had green beans, purple-hull peas, fried okra, sauteed zucchini with tomato & onion and sliced tomatoes.  Served with iced tea, of course.  We had a great meal and visit.  Bill even joined in.  With I had taken a picture!

Girls Scouts had their first meeting at Trinity tonight.  I hope it went well. After we got rid of the pool table and ping-pong table last week, Walter had the carpet cleaned and Christine Calvin (GS leader) cleaned and arranged the room.  We are excited to have them in residence and to have our space used productively.




Tuesday, August 17

Baking day always starts with preparing the levain the night before.  By the end of the day I had 4 nice loaves.  I recently purchased two smaller banneton baskets for rising, but I did not see any significant difference in the finished loaves. 


Three for the freezer and one to slice


Wednesday, August 18

Amanda started her Roane State English class this morning, so I did not have to drive her to school.  Claire left for MTSU today.  We hope and pray that this school year is more "normal" despite the continued outbreak of Covid.  Claire is moving into a dorm apartment suite with 3 other girls (all vaccinated!).  She will not start classes until Monday.

I have received an invitation to give my Creation Care talk to the Central UMW group.  I some time today thinking about that and working on some family history.  I finished the day with a nominations committee meeting at church which lasted until 7:30.  I picked up Ruby T's salmon dinners on the way home.


Thursday, August 19

Third Thursday means neighbor lunch.  This month was my turn to host.  I took the lazy way out and bought a Key Lime Pie to serve for dessert.  To that I added cheese & crackers and a tomato/cucumber salad. We had our usual lively conversation for a couple of hours around my table.

The day ended with a LoCo Dem Executive Committee meeting by Zoom. I don't think I could stay on the committee unless we were meeting by Zoom.


Friday, August 20

Today was my last day to drive Amanda to school.  I have enjoyed the time I've spent with her this summer as her driver.  Mike will pick her up from school this afternoon and take her to get her license.  She will start driving herself to school next week.  I feel some sadness at the passing of an important phases.  I'm honored that I have been part of it.

After lunch the "Energizer" group met at church for Bingo.  No food was served, but there was a good turn-out and everyone had fun.  This was to be the last event before the fellowship hall is turned over to the church sale activities.

After Bingo, I worked with Jim Anderson to initiate a Habitat for Humanity Critical Repair Grant.  Jim needs a ramp at his back entrance for safety.


Saturday, August 21

Bill and I travelled in the RV to Rugby, TN for the annual British Motorcar and Motorbike show.  It is an outdoor event that we have attended in the past.  We enjoyed the pleasant mountain drive up Hwy 27 to Rugby, ate lunch from one of the vendors and looked at cars, a few motorcycles and some crafts.  We were home by mid-afternoon.




Clever apron made from a man's shirt


Sunday, August 22

We have been concerned about the impacts of Hurricane Henri on Rhode Island, Boston and other points NE.  Anna was able to get a ride with a friend to Heather's house in Vermont, so she will be safe.  The planned internment for Jake, which was to be tomorrow, has been postponed.  Anna will remain with Heather for at least a week.







No comments:

Post a Comment