Sunday, August 8, 2021

Golf & Garden, July 26-31

Monday-Tuesday, July 26-27

I can lump these two days together because both were spent doing almost the same thing.  Monday started with packing school supplies as a volunteer for Good Samaritan (and representing Trinity.)  I have participated in this activity for several years and always enjoy doing it.  GSC will distribute 500 backpacks of school supplies to children of our clients in Loudon County.  Additional classroom supplies will be provided directly to the school systems to distribute as needed.  These are items like hand-sanitizer, tissues, white-board markers, etc. 

Lenoir City Elementary School cafeteria is a perfect location for packing.

After a brief stop at home for lunch, I went to Oak Ridge to pick up Amanda at the Oak Ridge Country Club where she had been playing in a tournament.  Not long after I got there, storms moved into the area and we had a 2-hour rain delay.  She had 6 holes left to play.  Fortunately, the mother of one of the girls in her group of 3 offered to let me ride with her around the course.  The day was too hot to walk, even after the rain!  Amanda scored a personal best 39 on the last nine holes.  I think the chance to cool off helped her performance.

Tuesday, Amanda and I left at 7:30 for the second day of the tournament.  Today we traveled to a course in North Knox County, about a 50 minutes drive.  Amanda had never played this course.  It was scenic, very hilly, and pretty difficult.  The day was brutally hot with heat index over 100.  I had a cart and was able to find shade, but the golfers were in the hot sun for hours.  Amanda had a so-so score.  I was proud of her for finishing and not complaining.



Wednesday, July 28

The garden called and produced a nice little harvest - enough peas and green beans for more than one meal and okra to share.  I think I have accumulated enough cucumbers to make some relish.  I ground the cucumbers, peppers and onions and soaked them in salt water seasoned with turmeric.  Drain, cover with ice water for one hour.  Bring to boil sugar and vinegar with herbs & spices and pour over drained vegetables. Let it sit overnight. I used my very old Ball Blue Book Guide to Canning and Preserving.  I've used it since I first began gardening and canning in Tennessee in the mid-1970s. Needless to say, it is falling apart, but the instructions and recipes can't be beat.

Even though we had enough chicken left from the roasted chicken Bill bought on Monday, we ordered our favorite BOGO salmon dinners from Ruby T.  

Thursday, July 29

I finished processing the pickle relish this morning.  I only had enough cucumbers for a half recipe, 3 pints plus a little extra. 


We finally finished the chicken in these cheesy chicken enchiladas.


Friday, July 30

The highlight of the day was lunch with Marie.  We decided that we should go back to eating outside and chose Chuey's in west Knox.  I had a hair cut appointment after.  


Saturday, July 31

I have finally accumulated enough ripe tomatoes to process a small batch.  Four quarts of trimmed and quartered tomatoes produced 4 pints of thin juice/sauce.  I don't cook it down or season it for sauce.  The tomatoes are cooked just enough to soften them to go through the strainer.


Sunday, August 1

After church, our afternoon was spent doing some basic housework to get ready for Melanie and Brenda later in the afternoon.  Brenda is traveling to visit her daughter and family in the DC area.  Melanie is catching a ride for a visit.  The plan was for two weeks, but Melanie will have to leave earlier and so will Brenda.  

They arrived as expected in the late afternoon.  I had a supper planned of salmon on the grill and fresh vegetables.  I made a fresh tomatoes and cucumber salad with fresh mozzarella and herbs to accompany it.  Seems I was too busy to take pictures.  We had a fun evening which included plenty of wine and 2 bottles of champagne.  We celebrated Clara Nelle, whose birthday would have been tomorrow.  Brenda and mother were best friends for many years despite Brenda being much younger. Brenda is traveling with her beloved dog, Maybe (maybe I'll keep her).  She is a sweetie and Bill enjoying taking her out and seeing to her needs.





No comments:

Post a Comment