Sunday, January 22, 2023

Lighten up - January 17-22

Tuesday morning I sat in on a Zoom meeting of the Reproductive Justice Clergy Coalition. I was invited by my UU friend Elizabeth with whom I conspire on various community activities. It was a small group, about ten, of whom at least four were UU Clergy men, active or retired. One woman was from Church of the Savior, Knoxville and another a Lutheran minister. The discussion was primarily informational about upcoming activities and lobbying.  I was interested in learning about what is going on in the area. I hope to be on their email list to keep informed.  There is a National Day of Action (Bigger Than Roe) coming up on Sunday, Jan 22, with a march planned in Knoxville that day. Unfortunately Sunday from noon - 2 pm at Market Square is a time slot that makes it hard for church people to participate.

Right after lunch I went to see Vicki for a haircut. A fresh haircut always makes me feel lighter. While I was out I thought I might as well try to find some frames to hang Amanda's paintings. It took 3 stores and a long wait in line to get what I wanted.  Amanda was here for supper and overnight.  We had a repeat of last night's supper of hamburger steaks.


Wednesday Amanda finished the last of the waffles for her breakfast while I left early for a Good Samaritan Board meeting.  It was really two meeting because in addition to the regular board meeting we had the annual public meeting to elect new board members and officers.  I'm excited that Pastor Linda was elected to the board for a 2-year term. She will be a good addition and it will help her integrate more into the community outside the church. After the two meetings, some committees met, including grants.  I will be working on the United Way grant for the next few months in addition to chairing the strategic planning committee.

I managed to work in a yoga routine before time to fix supper. Amanda was with us for one more supper, but went home before bedtime.  Laura and Mike were due home from their Cancun vacation late tonight.  For our last supper, I made ham & chicken fried rice and sauteed a few shrimp to add for Bill and me.  We all liked the dish.  Bill and I have enjoyed Amanda's company these past few days.

Thursday morning we had the first session of chair yoga class at church, using a video guide.  I picked up Kathy on the way and when we arrived there were lots of people (20) just beginning the routine.  The exercise was only 15 minutes and was good stretching, not too strenuous.  A bunch of us had lunch at Donna's Diner afterward.  Today's specials were hamburger steak or hot roast beef sandwiches, good home-cooking.  The onion rings on the side were great!

The dreary weather of the last few days finally cleared after lunch and even though the wind was pretty stiff we went for a walk.  We chose our side of the river today in hopes that the hills would block the strong south wind. What a joy to feel the sun and light as we walked.

After supper I went back to town for the Loudon County Democratic Party public monthly meeting. The program was a review of all we did in 2022 and we did a lot!  We ended with introductions around the room since we had a few new people.  People's stories are always interesting.  More than one of the newbie's talked about how isolated they have felt in this strongly Republican county and how glad they were to find a group of like-minded people. One woman who has been very active for several years at multiple levels and her words resonated with me. She said that she has friends who are involved in various worthy causes but she is politically active because she believes that only through political activity can she help bring about systemic change on multiple issues.  Her words inspired me to stay involved in political activity.

Friday's main activity was lunch with Marie at Aubrey's in Oak Ridge. I did my yoga practice first though, hoping to stretch my bothersome right hip. Marie and I had a lively conversation, as usual, ranging from family matters to the Book of Revelations.  She is preparing a Bible Study for her church small group and I may join via Zoom. I normally shun Revelations but maybe Marie can enlighten me. She is a serious Bible scholar and leans to Spong side of theology.  

When I got home, Bill and I took advantage of the balmy day for a walk, this time back across the river to our usual route. My right hip hurt quite a bit and I couldn't make the whole 2 miles. Nevertheless, I ended the day well over my step goal, 9225 steps. I find it impossible to make my goal of 7500 steps without walking at least 30 minutes in addition to routine activities.

Yesterday I made air-fryer fried chicken using a new technique. We had enough left for supper tonight. I also put some white beans to soak overnight for soup this weekend.

I rejoice in the light as the days are gradually, but perceptibly, getting longer. This picture was taken at 6:13, about 20 minutes after official sunset. Twilight is lingering on these clear days and in another week, actual sunset will be after 6 pm.  For me, that is a turning point in winter.

January 19, 6:13 pm

My big project for Saturday was making minestrone using a new recipe. Like Borscht, this soup has not often been on my menu. Afte breakfast I chopped all the vegetables and precooked the beans. I had a mammogram at 11:30, but that didn't take long. After a light lunch, I finished putting together the soup.  Homemade soup, all from scratch can be quite a production - and it's not even for supper tonight!

Mid-afternoon we set off for another walk on our usual route.  And as usual, we encountered a couple we've known for years who live on Paw Paw Plains Rd.  They keep a schedule similar to ours, expect I think they are out more often than we are.  I like to look for something new or different on our walks.  That is challenging when we walk the same route frequently. Today, a beautiful cliff-side of moss caught my eye.  The photo does not capture the bright green of the moss that my eyes perceived.  I also liked the contrast of shapes and shadows on another of the steep rock faces.



Sunset, January 21, 2023, 5:51 pm
Clouds are moving in but we still had a nice twilight.

Sunday after church a group of us gathered at Asahi Japanese Cafe in Lenoir City for lunch.


Later, Bill and I went to the Matzeks to see their Cancun pictures.  The weather today has returned to foggy, drizzly, chilly January, not fit for walking outdoors.  But it is good weather for a bowl of hot soup and grilled ham and cheese on home-made sourdough bread.

Minestrone with grilled ham & cheese on sourdough



No comments:

Post a Comment