Friday, November 17, 2023

November at home - Nov 8-12

 Wednesday, Nov 8

What a pleasure to wake up at home after two weeks away and after a good nights sleep in our own bed and with familiar routines to follow.  The weather was perfect even if a little warm for November, so I wanted to work outside.  Thursday I would go to yoga, Friday held a promise of rain and Saturday afternoon would be taken up with football, so today was the day garden work.  After some preliminary catching up indoors, and doing a session of yoga with Bill, I was ready to tackle the pond garden right after lunch.  The water irises need to be cut back and other sections trimmed.

As the afternoon warmed, I found that I could work for about 5 minutes and then rest for about 10.  With that routine, I got the work done with a little help from Bill.  I was very pleased!

Work in Progress

Finished for the season and more accessible to our wildlife.  My trusty flamingo keeps guard year-round.


Thursday, Nov 9 - Yoga Day

The day started when Bill spotted a flock of birds at the newly cleared and filled pond.  I identified them as a flock of Cedar Waxwings.  Unfortunately I was not able to get any pictures.  There were about 20 in the flock.  The Waxwings pass through every fall, usually with a group of Robins and seeing them is always a treat. According to the "All About Birds" site at Cornell U, they are year-round in this area, but they are not at my house.

Yoga was fun and challenging andI enjoyed being in the company of friends.  We went to Aubrey's for lunch which I always enjoy.  I had the grilled tuna sandwich with Caesar salad.  Kathy and I had to leave promptly after lunch because I had a dentist appointment.  All went well.

Friday, Nov 10

No rain as we were promised. We are in severe drought conditions and I am continuing to water the garden.  I finally unpacked my clothes and got all the laundry done. I had been putting it off until today.  I hadn't seen Jim A in about 3 weeks, so I went to River Grove, Loudon, for a visit.  He doesn't seem to be doing too well, although nothing specific.  Depression, I think. After the visit, I stopped in Greer's furniture store to see if they might have a sofa I would like.  I actually found one.  I stocked up at the grocery on the way home.  We had Mississippi Fried Catfish for supper.

Saturday, Nov 11

I talked Bill into going to Greer's with me to look at the sofa.  We decided to buy it. He also looked at recliners and found one he liked, but he will do more investigation before making a purchase.

The sofa is light grey, which doesn't show too well in the store light.


The afternoon event was football at the Brock's with Bonnie.  Instead of Subway sandwiches, we had Kathy's Italian beef sandwiches.  Delicious!  We are always glad when Bonnie brings stuffed eggs.  We were too stuffed with all the good stuff for pie.  UT was stuffed by Missouri.

Sunday, Nov 12

My Sunday School lessons are deviating from the lectionary for a 3-week series on gratitude, "Our Hymn of Grateful Praise."  This week's scripture was Psalm 100. Laura came over after lunch for a short visit and walk around Melton Hill with us.


No comments:

Post a Comment