Wednesday, November 22, 2023

November at home - Nov 13-19

Monday, Nov 13

I was home doing something most of the day.  We had Church Council meeting 5:30 - 7 pm, so I made supper early and left it on the stove for Bill. After supper, I set up for baking bread tomorrow.

Tuesday, Nov 14

This morning the sponge (for bread) did not seem very well developed, so I let it go for a little longer before started.  That may have been due to the cool weather, or to the fact that I haven't used the started in over 3 weeks.  I should have refreshed it last week!  Anyway, the bread was behind schedule, such as it is, all day and wasn't ready to bake until after supper. I still wasn't sure about how it would rise, but it did just fine.  I made 2 rectangles and one round.  I was so tired by the time it came out that I forgot to take a picture.  I am pleased with how the traditional loaf pans (cast iron) are working.

During some of the afternoon down time, I made a connection with Alphonso and Abraham Marquez, who may become involved with the Gospel Justice Center that Pastor Linda and I are exploring.  I also used the time to learn a little more about what might be involved in hosting the Center once a month.  I think that we need to move deliberately and do more investigating before we make a commitment.  It seems like a worthy endeavor, but I don't know how much time I want to give to it.

The collard plant in my garden is still going and I was able to pick enough for supper to go with pan-seared chicken thighs and smashed potatoes.

Wednesday, Nov 15

The Good Samaritan Board met at 9 am, so I was up and out at 8:30 this morning.  The meeting is always productive.  I learned that in addition to being nominated for co-secretary, I am chairing the Policy Committee as well as continue with the Strategic Planning Committee.  Next year will be busy!

Marie C and I had lunch at Little Bangkok at Campbell Station.  Our visits are always good and I am grateful for that continued friendship.  I took him an order of our favorite Singapore Fried Rice for his supper.

Bill and I made another trip to Greer's in Loudon.  I dropped him off and had a short visit with Jim A.  No change. Bill still did not make a decision.

I am having to fill the pond and feeders frequently. I ran out of bird seed today.



Thursday, Nov 16 - Yoga Day

Yoga Day has rolled around again.  Kathy drove us this week because had a lab appointment early this morning.  We had fun as usual and 9 of us went to Sr. Rancho for lunch.

Bill and I had a conversation with Anna S this afternoon.  She had recently shared Jim Whitaker's WWII story with a new friend at Blenheim who is a retired Navy Rear Admiral.  Her friend had encouraged her to submit the document to the Naval Archives.  The conversation sparked my curiosity as I remembered working on the old audio-tape cassette to clean up the sound quality.  I found my recording and was able to convert it to a QT movie and upload to my YouTube channel.  It is an hour long, in Jim's voice.  He kind of rambles telling his story as it was spontaneous rather than carefully planned.  It is a valuable archive nonetheless.


Friday, Nov 17

I went to Food City this morning to get a ham for Sunday Thanksgiving Dinner at Trinity's Meet & Greet.  Bill went to Greer's and bought the chair that he has been thinking about.  He certainly did his due diligence.  We were both home for lunch before I had to go to the dermatologist about a persistent skin inflammation on my neck. I got a new cortisone cream prescription.

Looking out of the window just now I see our resident doe helping herself to a freshly filled bird feeder.  She is why I will have to retire that feeder.  Her young twins are madly dashing up and down the hill just like exuberant youngsters running around excitedly.


Saturday, Nov 19

Cooked the ham, deboned and plated it for tomorrow.  While the ham was cooking, I prepared my Sunday School class lesson, again on the theme of gratitude.  I did odd bits of housekeeping, too.  At 3:30 we went to the Brock's to watch the UT Football game.  Bonnie picked up Subways for our "tail-gate" meal.  We did not expect to beat Georgia and we did not.

Sunday, Nov 20

Our Thanksgiving meal after church was a good success.  All but 8 people who attended worship stayed for the meal. Turkey & dressing provided by Calhoun's.  I did not have any left-over ham to take home.




Amanda got home from UA-Huntsville on Friday night.  Bill went over mid-afternoon for a ping-pong challenge.  We both we back later for fish tacos, sharing vacations pictures and especially catching up with Amanda.


No comments:

Post a Comment