Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Quarantine Log - March 13-April 1

In the wee hours of this first day of April, 2020 I thought that I should begin a quarantine journal.  This event is historic, though not without precedent. 

First some background and significant dates to catch us up.

  • Late December, 2019 - The novel coronavirus originated in Wuhan, China, although it may have been circulating for some weeks prior.
  • By March 27 it had spread to at least 175 countries and infected more than 558,502 people, killing more than 25,000.
  • January 20 - The first US case was reported in Snohomish Co., Washington state.
  • January 30 - WHO declared a "Public Health Emergency of International Concern."
  • February 11 - WHO officially named the disease COVID-19
  • February 28 - I stocked up on staples from Walmart and Food City.
  • February 29 - 1st US death on American soil
  • March 11 - WHO declared a world-wide pandemic
  • March 13 - US National Emergency declared
  • March 15 - our Holston Conference declared that all UMC to cease public gatherings until further notice
  • March 26 - US leads world with more than 82,000 confirmed cases. NYC & NJ are epicenters
  • March 27 - Nearly half of Americans are under "Stay at home" orders (mostly voluntary), all non-essential businesses closed but many businesses are considered essential
Bill and I decided we would stay at home except for essentials.  Actually we have been doing so since mid-March. 

Catching up to April 1:
On March 13 Melanie arrived to visit for a few days following Mother's memorial service in Sunflower, MS on March 7. I was a little nervous about handshakes and hugs before and after the service, but reasoned that the outbreak had not yet reached our parts of the deep South.  Melanie returned home on March 18, concerned about travel safety.  She returned to a house under self-quartantine because of an illness-scare which thankfully turned out negative for COVID-19.  

Bill and I were separately and carefully in public on March 19 for supplies.  I have made my own sanitizer. We did not go out again in public until Friday, March 26.  Food City has early (7-8 am) senior hours) and we also had a pick-up of pre-ordered bird seed from Tractor Supply.  I went to church to help with video worship on March 27.  We will do this weekly for as long as needed or as long as we are able. Present Pastor Kristie, Cindy Rausin, Joel Bonnan and JoLynn Blumquist, Ed Tinnel and me.

Nice weekend weather March 26-30 allowed Bill and me to do some yard/garden work and get in a few walks. All day use except boat ramp and roads are closed at Melton Hill TVA park.

I have made several surgical-type face masks and plan to make more.  I've also been working on website and video skills and learned to use Zoom as an end-user.

My plan is that beginning today, April 1, I will make a journal record of my COVID-19 quarantine experience and respond to the questions posted by East Tenn Mental Health Assoc. and taped in the front cover of my print journal.

April 1:
  1. Check on/ connected with - Kathy Brock and Laura by phone, Judith Delaney by email, Pastor Kristie, Sandra Guinn and Kathy B by Zoom prayer meeting.
  2. Letting go of - ??
  3. Getting outside - this was a cool damp day so outside was limited to fetching mail and picking some cilantro from the garden.
  4. Moving - did my video YOGA BURN
  5. Creativity - started this journal, cooked a new dish - Mujarddan (lentils & rice & fried onions)
  6. Self-care - all of above
  7. I am GRATEFUL for a safe home that lets me be in nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment