Monday, December 21, 2020

Christmas Reflection, December 20, 2020

 Christmas Reflection for Trinity, New Vision Sunday School Class

One of the readings for this week past was from 2 Samuel 7:1-11; 16. It seemed at first an odd selection as King David was talking to the prophet Nathan about his (David's) desire to build a temple. God's response, given through Nathan was this: “I haven’t lived in a temple from the day I brought Israel out of Egypt until now. Instead, I have been traveling around in a tent and in a dwelling.” God goes on to promise that the house that David will build will not be a building, but will be a dynasty. “Your dynasty and your kingdom will be secured forever before me. Your throne will be established forever.” We know now that the dynasty that is established forever is through Jesus the Christ.

I read this scripture and reflection on Tuesday morning, just after the decision had been made official to suspend in-house worship through rest of the Christmas season. What resonated with me was not the promise of a dynasty that we see fulfilled in the coming of the Messiah, Jesus. What seems more relevant this week is the reminder that God doesn't dwell in our temple. He travels around with his people, to be in their midst. We don't need to come to the temple to find God. He is found among us, with us, beside us. God reminds David, saying; “ I’ve been with you wherever you’ve gone, and I’ve eliminated all your enemies before you.”

So my word for us in this season is that we shouldn't fret about the church or the building or when we can gather in the temple. If we remain faithful in our worship, and worship as God directs us, He will be faithful in bringing us through this storm. God has made clear that the worship He desires is this: “And what does the LORD require of you but to act justly, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God?” (Micah 6:8)

My friends, I share this reflection with you because I miss you. I pray that your Christmas season will be blessed. I have faith that we will be together again in God's good time.

Love came down at Christmas. May that Love permeate your life in the coming year.

Jane Clark

No comments:

Post a Comment