Thursday, December 31, 2020

Pandemic Times, December 27-31

Sunday, December 27

Happy 2nd Birthday, John David Whitaker.

We aren't able to see him and the rest of the Whitakers often enough, but thanks to Zoom, Facetime and Marco Polo app, we are able to interact remotely.  I'll be so glad when we can be together for those precious hugs. I don't expect that to occur until after Bill and I get the Covid vaccine.  Mike is scheduled to get his today as a health care provider with UT hospital system. (It went smoothly). 

I was determined to move my body more today than I have for the past week.  My joints have gotten creaky.  After breakfast digested sufficiently, I did my 30 minute yoga routine.  After lunch, as I was resting in my favorite chair, look who showed up right outside my window.



The day was sunny with a projected high near 50. Even though there was still snow in shady spots and north slopes, we ventured across the river for a walk.  


Along the way I looked for a unique site to mark the day.  As I said a few days ago, I look with wonder at the rock cliffs and outcrops that are exposed in winter.  But again, the best sighting came near the end of the walk.  We spied an eagle on a high snag on the ridge - a spot we have known to be a favorite eagle perch.  


I had looked there when we started our walk and found it empty.  But now there he/she was, to far for a picture with my cell phone but clearly visible to the naked eye.  We wished for the binoculars and my long zoom camera.  Then as we approached the car, we saw another eagle in a tree at the end of the parking lot.  I was able to approach quite closely. When we pulled out, we drove toward the tree and I was lucky enough to get a video of him/her flying away right over my head.


Ruby Tuesday had their BOGO special bank so we enjoyed the hickory bourbon salmon, a new Sunday tradition.


Monday, December 28

This Monday came with no specific agenda.  I spent several hours working on building a new church website.  I have to decide about upgrading or switching plans.  I feel better about the upgrade than my initial impression.

We didn't go anywhere or even venture out for a walk on this cloudy day.  Bill has been very committed to walking on his treadmill.  I gave it about 15 minutes today, almost 3/4 mile, not too impressive.

I always remember my mammaw, Emily Lucille Farrar Westmoreland, who was born on this date in 1902 in Montgomery Co, Mississippi. Her parents, John Andrew Farrar and Nellie Jane McLaughlin Farrar, owned a farm near French Camp.  Emily was named after her grandmother Emily May McLaughlin.  She married her true love, Buford Clark Westmoreland (for whom I'm named) in 1924. They had one child, my mother Clara Nelle Westmoreland Taylor.  Mammaw was a strong woman, who worked hard, enjoyed life, and saw everything and everyone in a positive light.  She died in 1993, age 90 years, 10 months.  Her daughter, Clara Nelle, lived 90 years 6 months.


Numbers for 12/28

NY Times, 2 pm update
     19.2+ million cases; 334,130 deaths (0.1% of population)
    California has exceeded TN in new cases per 100,000

TN had no testing over Christmas
    567,792 cases; 48,000 new since 12/20
    0-10  29,047; 11-20  73,105

Loudon County
    4046 total cases; 779 active; 35 deaths
    case rate 101.5
    pos rate 33.6%


Tuesday, December 29

Big outing today.  I placed an order with Whole Foods/Prime for curbside pickup in Knoxville. I wanted some fish and shrimp that they had on sale.  Bill suggested we get takeout from Thai Bistro for supper so we picked up that first, then to Total Wine to stock up on beverages and finally to Whole Foods.  We have been so cocooned here that it was somewhat surprising to see so many people out and about. Roads and parkings lots were full, but at least in Knox Co people were wearing masks.

As soon as we got the groceries unloaded we headed out for our walk, hoping to see the eagles again. When we started, the eagles were nowhere to be seen. As usual, I was looking for something I hadn't noticed before. Finally, there it was - a milkweed pod,open and ready to spread its beautiful fluffy seeds. When I was a kid on the farm, I loved finding these and freeing the seeds to fly away on the breeze.  Now, finding milkweed pods gives me hope for the monarch butterflies.  Maybe I'll plant some milkweed in the garden next year. 


I didn't know that the best treat was waiting ahead.  On the snag high up the ridge was, not one, but two eagles. I had my camera ready, but even with the long zoom I was unable to get a good picture.  Nevertheless, we were thrilled to see this magnificent pair.  Using Bill's good binoculars, we enjoyed watching them. Thanks to the binoculars, we were able to clearly identify their nest in a pine tree near their perch, high on the ridge. This ridge is behind the fence on Oak Ridge Reservation property, so is well protected.  My photo time stamp marked the sighting at 4:45.  




We got home in time to catch a beautiful sunset before heating and enjoying our Asian dinner.


Wednesday, December 30

Last week I ordered bananas with my curbside pickup order and was given a huge bunch, slightly green.  Today they were ripe enough to make banana bread - 4 loaves.  When they were done, I called Claire to come over and have some for lunch and take a loaf home for the family.  I couldn't talk her into doing my housework, though.

Later, almost 5 pm, we went looking for our eagles. We were not disappointed. One was perched on the snag near the nest and the other was closer to the parking lot, but partially hidden among the trees. Male and female look alike, so it is hard to tell which is which.  Females are typically larger, more heavy bodied, but unless a pair is together, we can't tell. The nearer one flew down to the river bed, missed its fish, and returned to a perch very near the road at the end of the parking lot.  The tree was no more than 20 yards off the road.  I was able to get some great shots. Next time, I might bring a tripod which would help greatly on the long zooms.  We were there past sunset, enjoying the majesty of the bald eagle up close. 






Charleston Shrimp and Grits for supper. 



Thursday, December 31

New Year's Eve - No one is sorry to see 2020 over.  For us, personally, the restrictions have not been too bad, we and our children have been healthy and have not suffered loss of income.  Routines have been changed, socializing restricted, but most of the important elements of life remain intact.  We have missed seeing David's family, but we have maintained a good relationship with the grandchildren.  We last saw them at Fall Creek Falls at the end of September and do not expect to see them in person any time soon.

We usually celebrate New Year's Even by watching a game with the Brocks.  For several years, we were in Orange Beach/  This year it was just the two of us watching football and snacking too much.  It was a foggy, drizzly day, so we didn't go out.  I cooked some fresh collard greens and black-eyed peas for tomorrow. This year, I didn't even stay up to see the year out and ring in the new.  But I did enjoy my bottle of Champagne and made a meal of shrimp cocktail and focaccia cheese toast.

Numbers for the next to last day of the year:

US: 19.8 million total cases; 344,221 deaths

TN: 586,802 cases; 6907 deaths; 0-10 29,949; 11-20 74,846

LoCo: 4210 total cases; 661 active; 37 deaths; 95.4 case rate; 31.8% pos rate


No comments:

Post a Comment