Thursday, December 3, 2020

Pandemic Times, November 15 - 21

Sunday, November 15

Starting a new paper bound book seems to call for some profound statement.  This day, I started on notebook #4 in my Quarantine/Pandemic series.  So in reality it is not a new beginning but a continuation of the sage - a record of normalcy in the midst of very abnormal times.  The number of Covid cases continues to grow, the number of deaths is mounting. Moran than 11 million cases have been reported so far, and who knows how many more unreported.  Loudon County cases have also greatly increased , so that I did not go to church today.  I felt guilty that I might be over-reacting, but I also feel that church is one of my more hazardous activities given the number of people (more than 30) and the length of time spent confined.

I used my time to make pear butter from the pears I picked last week.  Pear butter is very similar to apple butter.  I'm glad that the already picked pears didn't go to waste.  Many in the upper limbs of the trees are feeding the wildlife.  I ended up with 8 half-pints plus almost a pint jar.


The day was windy, so we didn't walk.  I spent time at my computer catching up on transferring my blog from hand-written to digital form and adding the pictures.

Space-X launched a manned craft, with 4-person crew, bound for the International Space Station.  This is the first manned launch from US soil in nearly a decade.

Numbers:

Yesterday, 11/14, Loudon County added 27 new cases and today added 37 more.  

11/15    LoCo case count is 2016
              case rate is 47.3
              pos rate is 13+%
              254 active cases 


Monday, November 16

I started sort of early to go to WalMart for Santa's Helper shopping.  I had teen-age boys to shop for plus odds and ends.  Still, it was nearly 9 am before I left home and the shopping took more than an hour.  The store was not very crowded, but with only one or two check-out lines open, there was still a wait.

One the way home I picked up Amanda and she had lunch and a walk with us.  She helped me sort and tag today's purchases before I took her home.  I enjoyed her company and her help.

Air-fryer chicken thighs with fried eggplant and spinach


Numbers:

TN Dept of Health
    +7951 new cases; 318,888 case count
    +3- deaths; 3923 total deaths
age 0-10    15,639
age 11-20  42,517
    13% pos rate

Loudon County
    2039 total cases
    15 total deaths
    47.3 case rate (7-day avg per 100,000)
    20.9 avg daily new cases (14-day avg)
    13.8% pos rate
    37 new cases

US: 11,186,306 case count
        246,000+ total deaths


Tuesday, November 17

The first half of this day was dedicated to Santa Helper work.  Amanda went with me to pick up a few more items at WalMart before I took her home following her early workout. I went back into town to FRC to bag and tag and "check-in" the gifts for those whose lists were completed.  Then Susan and I reconciled my receipts.  It is all part of the process which has very good financial accountability. I think that I am finished with shopping and just waiting for a few items to be delivered.  We will crank up in earnest on Dec 1 to receive gifts from sponsors and distribute to families.

This afternoon I tried a modification on the face masks - adding a pipe-cleaner strip for a better nose fit.  Bill likes it, but I don't.

Stir-fry for supper with leftover chicken.


Wednesday, November 18

I started the day with the yoga routine that I've practiced for years.  I typically don't practice yoga in the late spring through early fall when I can be active outdoors.  I've had some back and hip discomfort recently, so I decided it was time to resume the yoga practice.  The 20-minute routine stretches and flexes every part of my body.  It looks gentle, but is a pretty good workout.  I felt much better afterward.  I prepped supper early because I expected to be at the Good Samaritan Center by 4 pm for two interviews for a new client service manager.  The interviews went well. We hope to hire someone in December to start in January.


Thursday, November 19

The third Thursday of the month is the regular day for our neighbor lunch.  Kathy couldn't make it today so it was just Connie and me at Marilyn's house.  She had enough reoom for us to space out inside and we wore our masks when not eating.  We each bring our own food except for dessert.  Marilyn made us a delicious French Apple Pie!

Before lunch, Bill and I had a Zoom visit with Anna & Jake.  It is the first we've done with them and it was nice to see their faces.  They are settling in to their new apartment in Newport.

At the feeders in the early afternoon:  abundant chickadee and titmouse, song sparrow, house finch, red-bellied woodpecker, junco. And patrolling the ground to clean up spilled seed were several mourning doves and a chipmunk.


Friday, November 20

After breakfast a gaggle of redwing blackbirds stopped by the feeders outside our dining room window.  it looks like they will clean out the feeders and everything spilled on the ground, too! A junco made an appearance as well, confirming my sighting yesterday, but I haven't seen even a small flock. I'll need to refill all the feeders later today.  A groundhog is having his breakfast nearby. He is very fat for a vegetarian, getting ready for winter when grazing is scarce.  They don't hibernate, but den under the old shed behind the house.  Altogether, our wild friends brightened our morning.

After completing my yoga routine, I went in for a brief stint at FRC and then had lunch with Bonnie on her front porch.  After lunch, I met a democratic committee woman to pick up postcards to mail to Georgia for the run-off election that will determine the balance of power in the Senate.

After Bill and I finished our afternoon walk, Kathy came over for a drink and visit on the deck. This was a busy, good day.


Saturday, November 21

Good Samaritan Thanksgiving Basket distribution started at 8 am at St. Thomas Catholic parking lot.  Some volunteers and staff were there even earlier setting up.  Client distribution was supposed to start at 9 am but clients starting lining up shortly after 8.  Clients are pre-certified and must present their voucher to receive the food.  We give a $10 gift card for turkey or whatever mean or fresh vegetable the family wants. They get 2 boxes packed with all the traditional holiday food - candied yams, green beans, corn, stuffing mix, even cake mix and frosting.  Thanks to a special donation from the Tate & Lyle Professional Women's Group, we were able to give out a 6-pack of toilet paper and from our funds we provided a bar of soap. We gave out 500 vouchers which means 500 families served.  I was assigned to help at the coffee/donut table for volunteers.

Dedicated volunteers and staff feeding our community

I had decided earlier in the week that I am no longer comfortable spending a few hours indoors, unmasked, even with a few good friends and family.  So I opted out of our Saturday football get-together with Brocks and Bonnie.  If we are giving up family Thanksgiving, it seems reasonable to give up football.  Bill and I fixed hamburgers and home-fries for our game meal.

Numbers:
NYTimes from 11/20
    198,585 new cases! 67% increase over last 14 days
    1952 deaths (single day) 63% increase

    TN: 325,857 case count; 63.1 case rate; 4,306 daily avg of new cases last week
    LoCo: 2084 case count; 24.7 daily avg last week; 175 new cases last week

TN Dept of Health 11/21
    +3444 new cases since yesterday
    331,532 case count
    age 0-10    16,500
    age 11-21  44,757

LoCo: 2125 case count
        17 total deaths
        225 active cases
        39.1 case rate
        12.3% pos rate



No comments:

Post a Comment