Sunday, April 18, 2021

The Journey Continues... April 14-17

 Wednesday, April 14

Baking and picture sorting today, along with laundry.  Tomorrow friends Connie, Marilyn and Kathy are coming for lunch.  All of us are vaccinated and ready to resume our monthly lunch and conversation.  In addition to the sourdough, I made focaccia.  I baked the focaccia first, then tried baking two sourdough boules at the same time.  The logistics were a little complicated, but it worked out and cut the total cooking time in half.  Unfortunately, my loaves didn't have much "oven spring." The dough was softer and it spread more than it rose.  Maybe I miscalculated my water/flour ratio. 

Leftover chicken simmered in a bottled Korma sauce and served over rice with fresh asparagus for and easy supper.


Thursday, April 15

Big day! Lunch party at our house!  Bill was so helpful in getting the house ready without me asking for anything.  Kathy, Connie and Marilyn came at noon, each bringing her own sandwich.  I had goat cheese, cheddar cheese, crackers, chips, sliced apple & orange and focaccia - a simple menu.   I didn't even make a home-made dessert as usual, but served 'Edwards' Key Lime Pie.  We enjoyed in-person conversation around the table until almost 3.  I believe everyone enjoyed our time as much as I did.

I used the pink depression glass plates that I bought at the church sale a couple of years ago and have never used.  The pink depression glass glasses that cam from Mammaw and her matching cake plate and serving bowl completed the theme.  Not much silverware was needed, but I used a few pieces of Mozelle's silver.  

Pink depression glass

Amanda had a softball game, so I got her to the field and was back home by 4.  A little while later, Kathy picked me up to go to the funeral home for a visitation with the Thomas family who lost Shirley this week. From there, I went to the softball field.  We lost, but Amanda did her part, getting on base 2 of 3 times at bat. 

More leftovers from the leftovers for supper.  We really stretched that roasted chicken and still have chicken salad for a few lunches.


Friday, April 16

The graveside service for Shirley Thomas started at 11 am.  I ended up going by myself.  There was a good crown, lots of church members and teaching colleagues there.  She was well known and well loved.  

After lunch, I spent time in the garden clearing winter weeds.  I have spent a lot of time doing that and have a lot left to do.  The fence row for pole beans is ready.  The asparagus shot up while I wasn't looking.  I picked more than enough for supper.

Asparagus springing up.  Weedy bed in the background

Sugar snap peas have sprouted

My new fish cookbook arrived this week and I bough some frozen fish at Aldi.  For tonight I made flounder filets stuffed with crabmeat, served with roasted new potatoes and fresh asparagus. I was so eager to dig in that I forgot to take a picture.  Take my word, it was pretty and delicious!


Saturday, April 17

Saturday sleep-in.  We were pretty late getting started on this damp and chilly spring morning.  We had a call from David before lunch. He was calling from the hospital in Cape Girardeau where he had spent the night.  He went with abdominal pain that turned out to be a large kidney stone.  When he called, he was waiting to see the urologist and was expecting to have a surgical procedure before the end of the day.  Later in the afternoon, the stone was removed and he was home before supper time.  We are thankful for a positive outcome.

Throughout the afternoon, Laura kept us posted on Amanda's golf match.  She was playing in a tournament in Middle Tennessee and the family is spending the weekend in Murphreesboro to spend time with Claire.  Amanda got to spend the night in the dorm.  She had a good game, shooting a personal best of 87 for the day. In their absence we have LeRoy for the weekend.

This one is almost cleared

Pork chops, sweet potatoes and green  beans were on tonight's menu.


No comments:

Post a Comment