Sunday, April 11, 2021

The Journey Continues... March 28 - April 3

Sunday, March 28 - Palm Sunday

So the journey continues even as the pandemic wanes.  Although in some parts of the country, cases are rising again, despite continued restrictions. The sense of relief after being vaccinated is still palpable.  Combined with the spring weather I feel a lightness of spirit where I didn't realize a weight was living in me.

I have been hoping/planning for a few weeks to go to church for real and in person today.  I enjoyed the experience of live music and of greeting people.  I did that safely with no hugs or handshakes but still it was good to look people in the eye for conversation.  I stationed myself at the side camera and that will be my place, operating that camera. I felt good to be dressed up in a dress, accessories, even pantyhose.  I wore the dress that I made for Easter a couple of years ago.

I spent some of the afternoon catching up on this blog, although I didn't publish last week's work.  Of course, basketball.  A balmy day produced a beautiful sunset.  Clouds are moving up from the gulf, so we'll enjoy a couple of warm days before the rain gets here.

RT Salmon for supper.



Monday, March 29

I took advantage of the warm day to work in the garden for a couple of hours. That's about all I'm good for anymore.  I didn't plant more, just cleared weeds.  I spent some afternoon time working on interview questions for our prospective church employee.

Leftover salmon for supper.


Tuesday, March 30

Garden work today was mowing.  The garden always looks neat after the paths are mowed.  I enjoyed this time outside observing the spring blooms and breathing the sweet air.  I remembered a little haiku (is there another kind) from years ago. This one goes back to March, 2008, before I started this blog. It serves to remind me that nature and nature's beauty exist for its own sake, not for my pleasure. That awareness makes me feel one with the natural world, not set apart from it.

Little violets
among the grass unaware
My admiration!

Redbuds are in full flower

Wisteria is just opening

Little violets

It is beginning to look like a garden, at least on this corner.


Amanda has a softball game away today, but we won't go.  We're ready for a restful evening after a busy day.  However, I had an interview meeting at church at 5 pm.  I used the time between dropping Amanda at school at 3:30 and getting to church to go to the grocery.  Supper was leftover tuna, made into tuna salad. After supper I prepared a levain for bread-making tomorrow.


Wednesday, March 31

Rain as predicted.  I made bread as planned and between steps I worked on hemming several sweat pants for Wayne.  It doesn't sound like much but together the two projects took up all my day until it was time to take Amanda to practice.

On the way home, I detoured by the dam to see the effects of last night's heavy rain.  The spillway gates are full open as they are at many TVA dams, the river is running high and the lake is up as well.  We still have a lot of tun-off to come through this watershed.  Brother Park reminded me in a recent conversation that all our water affects spring floods in Mississippi.  We are part of the Mississippi River watershed.  Some of the waters may be diverted down the Tenn-Tom waterway, but most the the Tennessee River system empties into the Ohio which flows into the Mississippi.  We pass that confluence every time we go to Cape Girardeau.  We are always fascinated to see the mighty waters come together.



A cool rainy day seemed to call for the warm comfort of red beans and rice - New Orleans Camilla red beans cooked with a meaty ham bone and andouille sausage. Served with bread fresh from the oven.





Thursday, April 1 - Maundy Thursday - April Fool's Day

No pranks by anyone, not even many on Facebook.  After the year we've all experienced, playing practical jokes just doesn't seem funny or right.  Life has played enough tricks on us all since this time last year.

This was the first frosty morning we've had in several weeks, but not out of the norm.  Our average frost-free date falls in mid-April and we can have frost into late April.  I finished the sewing projects today.  Amanda had a home game so I was determined to brave the chill and go to the game.  

I had an awkward amount of time between delivering her to the field and game time.  I decided to drive to Ft. Loudon dam to see the water spilling there. Water roaring over all 14 gates produces a powerful, turbulent current for a ways downstream.  I enjoyed watching the osprey, gulls and cormorants soaring and diving over the froth.  Just after 5, I went to church for Maundy Thursday communion and a time of quiet meditation.   My true meditation, though, was watching the water and the birds.

I got to the softball field before the game started.  It was every bit as cold as I thought it might be.  I managed 4 long innings.  Amanda's team lost but it was close.  She got on base with a nice bunt on one of her at-bats.  She is pretty good at making contact with the ball.

Amanda at bat

Leftover red beans & rice made a late supper when I got home.  Bill had wisely decided NOT to suffer the cold.


Friday, April 2 - Good Friday

Laura, Claire and Amanda have a holiday today.  Every day is a holiday for Bill and me.  After consulting with Laura & Kathy, I am choosing to host Easter dinner here on Sunday.  Bill is not 100% on board, but he always pitches in and does his part.  Often he ends up enjoying himself.  While he was on an errand to Knoxville, I mopped the wood floors - a job that I've put off for months.  I have spot cleaned but not done a thorough cleaning.  I also managed some dusting.  Bill and I worked together to clean the dining room windows and he mowed.  All these jobs needed to be done and company is always a good reason to actually get them done. Trouble is, we haven't had company in far too long!  I was tired at the end of the day, but it was a good tired. Easy Friday taco night.

The real news of the day is sad.  Jake, Jasper Keith Smith III, died at about 4 am.  He had heroically battled brain cancer (glioblastoma) for four years.  He was diagnosed soon after our last visit to New Mexico in 2017. 

Jake and Anna's move to Tennessee and purchase of a 60-acre farm in Loudon County in 1974 changed the trajectory of our life.  We moved from New Orleans to Shalom Farm, Lenoir City, Loudon County in the summer of 1974 and here we have been.  Jake was a force of life for his family and all who knew him.  His influence lives on in the lives of all those he touched.  We grieve for Heather, Jeff and Anna.

Jake, Anna and Bill - our last visit to New Mexico, 2017

Jake, Anna, Bill - Manassas, VA, 2019



Saturday, April 3

I woke up early and had some time for readying and reflection.  I am sharing my reflection is a separate post - In-Between.

I spent most of the day cooking.  I enjoyed being able to take my time and to know that I don't have to do everything.  Laura and Kathy will contribute.  After breakfast, I made cornbread and baked the 3 Mary B frozen biscuits I had on hand. Next, I made a dry brine rub for the turkey using a Rachel Ray recipe - brown sugar, kosher salt, sage, rosemary and black pepper.  Rubbing the aromatic home-dried herbs was a pleasing sensory act.  The mixture was rubbed onto the fresh turkey and it will sit in the refrigerator overnight.  Then I chopped onion and celery for the dressing - 2 cups onion and 3 cups celery.  I cleaned and coarse chopped celery tops and carrots to bake with the turkey as additional seasoning. Last, I made a big roux for the gravy.  I divided it to make both vegetarian gravy and turkey broth gravy.  I cooked the cranberries for tomorrow's sauce.  

Bill helped get the widest leaf in the table. I set the table for 8, with white table cloth, china and silver and even fresh flowers.  I am ready!

The late afternoon was just warm enough for Bill to clean up the grill and grill hamburgers for our supper.  Oven-fried sweet potatoes were the accompaniment.


No comments:

Post a Comment