Sunday, April 25, 2021

The Journey Continues... April 18 - 24

Sunday, April 18

I am back to a church routine, but still no Sunday School.  I sent a reflection to the group before leaving this morning.  We had a new couple, recent retirees who moved here from Lake Charles, Louisiana.  It will be fun to get to know them.

I had a mostly quiet afternoon, but managed to spend some more time in the garden to finish clearing the long tomato bed.  If we ever get any rain, I'll start planting.

Ruby T did not publish their usual Sunday BoGo special, so I fixed salmon filets, served with comeback sauce and leftover vegetables.

 

Monday, April 19

The first task today was to make Banana Bread for Laura's bake sale benefitting Graduation Promise activities.  I made 3 loaves - one for us, one for Laura's family and one for the sale.  

I began a new online course today, "Hope for Justice and Creation." It looks like it will be interesting, inspiring and will provide ample material for my Mother's Day sermon on Creation Care.  The problem will be pairing down to a short message!

After lunch, I went to the garden with green bean seeds.  I had enough of blue lake pole bean seeds to plant one row under the fence.  I usually plant a double row, so I'll have to find more seeds this week.  I had to water because we have had almost no rain this month.

Amanda had a softball game.  After delivering her to the field, I came home to finish prepping supper.  Earlier I had started spaghetti sauce made from my home-canned tomatoes and herbs.  I prepared the asparagus and set up the pasta so everything would be ready for a quick finish when we got home. Amanda's team lost badly.  

We watched a very interesting episode of Reel South about Bobby Kennedy's visit to Ole Miss in 1966 to speak to the Law School.  It was a piece of Mississippi history with which I was not familiar.  Excellent educational program. (PBS - Reel South S6, E3)


Tuesday, April 20

Busy Day! I worked on my course first thing this morning - reading, thinking and responding.  Today's topic was "Three Temptations," with  a relevant connection to current environmental issues.

Later in the morning, I picked up a couple of $5 sandwiches specials at RT and went to Bonnie's house for lunch.  We haven't had lunch together in months and we enjoyed the time.  At 1:30 I met Walter and Beverly S at church to help find the projector and and set up a projection screen for the Loudon County Historical Society Meeting which will be Sunday afternoon in our sanctuary.  We didn't find a screen mount but found a clothes rack that could make a suitable stand.  I was glad I could help.  

Then home in time to take Amanda to the softball field then back home.  Bill and I went back in to her game at 6.  Fortunately, with all the running around, I had leftover spaghetti for our supper.


Wednesday,  April 21 - Happy Birthday, Laura!

The day again started with course work, this time related to renewable energy. The reading referenced a book by Dr. Katherine Hayhoe that I had just read about in a Sojourner's Post.  I also listened to her TED talk as she discussed how to open the conversation around climate change. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BvcToPZCLI)

After lunch, Kathy and I made the rounds for seeds and plants (and wine), but I had only mixed success.  I did find a small succulent garden for Laura for her office.  We will celebrate her birthday on Sunday.

Since we went as far afield as Turkey Creek we stopped at Little Bangkok for Thai takeout for our respective suppers.


Thursday, April 22 - Earth Day

I am accumulating lots of material and ideas for my sermon on Mother Earth.  Today's study topic was "What would Jesus Drive?" continuing the theme of energy production and use, particularly in the arena of transportation.  I have been challenged each day to reflect on my own practice and those of our church.  I must acknowledge that transportation represents my heaviest carbon footprint.

Today continued damp and chilly. This seemed a good day for sewing, so I started work on a cell phone purse for Amanda.  She had chosen a gray pinstripe with a "Car's" theme print and orange solid for accents.  I got all the pieces cut. At 6, I went to Amanda's game without Bill. It was surprisingly pleasant, not as cool as some have been. 

That spaghetti keeps on giving, but this will be the last day.


Friday, April 23

The weather continues to be cool and breezy and not inviting to be outside.  We had a little frost this morning and it is predicted again for tomorrow, so gardening is on hold.  The plants already in the garden are hardy. I have not put out the tender ones yet.  I fear for Nannie's wisteria. 

With another indoor day, I continued working on Amanda's cell phone bag, I got to the point of attaching the strap, but I need to get some grosgrain ribbon for the strap to continue.

Amanda's practice was called off because of rainy weather.  We had a very relaxed evening - dinner and a movie. We've eaten leftovers all week it seems, so I cooked a new dinner from scratch tonight.  I used frozen cod fillets, prepared like chicken Florentine.  The dish turned out to be delicious, served over spinach with 'smashed' new potatoes on the side.

Fish Florentine

Saturday, April 24 - Happy Birthday Evangeline!

Evangeline is five years old today.  We hope to include her by Zoom in our birthday celebration later in the afternoon.



Another cool rainy morning was good for sleeping in and having a leisurely brunch with ham & cheese omelette. We did a little house cleaning to get ready for Laura's 4 pm birthday party.  She is bringing the cake so I don't have much to do.  

The Brock's and Matzek's arrived promptly at 4 and we connected with the Missouri Whitakers to include Evangeline in the celebration.  I was able to project the Zoom session on to the TV which made it fun and inclusive of everybody.  After cake came presents, of course!  This was not a dinner party, so everyone was gone by 6.  I was so busy serving and celebrating that I forgot to take pictures.

We still had to have supper, so we made easy tacos.




No comments:

Post a Comment