Sunday, May 2, 2021

The Journey Continues...April 25 - May 1

Sunday, April 25

Sunday morning is now consumed by going to church. We don't have Sunday School but it still takes all morning, until 12:30 or 1.  The weather has finally warmed back to normal so we took an afternoon walk through the park. Signs of spring still linger in the last dogwood blooms and roadside weeds. 

Ruby did not offer a BOGO special so I made salmon filets for us. Tonight's full moon was called the Pink Super Moon.  The pink is not the color, but in reference to some pink blooming plant.




Monday, April 26

The main event today was lunch with Marie, the first in months and the first at a restaurant in more than a year.  We met at Calhoun's in Oak Ridge at 11:30.  They have outdoor deck seating overlooking Melton Hill Lake.  The setting was lovely and the conversation was delightful!

Before leaving at 11, I worked on my online course reading and discussion board. I was home by 2 pm so I had time for Amanda and then a short stint in the garden.  The gardening didn't last long because it was hot in the sun today.  At least I got the rest of the green beans planted.  I resolved to begin my summer routine of gardening in the early morning and indoor work in the afternoon.

Garden Green Peas are growing fast

Leftover taco meat turned into beef enchiladas.  I also made a couple of spinach enchilada, the first time I've tried these.  I had some Queso on hand to fill with the spinach.  We had a salad that included some first of the season lettuce from the garden.

Tuesday, April 27

A week ago I committed to take Sandra G for a 'procedure' at Park West Hospital.  I picked her up at 9:15.  I used my wait-time to read the assigned chapter for the online course and to do some other reading.  All went smoothly and I was home before 3, just in time to turn around and take Amanda to town.  Her game today is at Bearden, so we will not go.  

Pork chops and baked sweet potatoes with green beans is one of my favorite supper combos.  I look forward to late June when I'll have fresh green beans from the garden again!


Wednesday, April 28 - Garden Morning

My herb list: bought at Erin's meadow or wintered over

Tarragon - wintered over, regrowing from roots
Marjoram - planted new in a garden box today
Thai basil - to be potted
Sweet basil - planted in garden box today
Holy basil - to be potted
Parsley, plain Italian and Curley - planted in garden today
Fennel & Borage - new for me, planted in garden today
St John's Wort - needs semi-shade, to be potted
Rosemary, Sage & Greek oregano - wintered over
Mints - common, peppermint & lemon balm wintered over
Dill - reseeded in the garden
Mexican Sage & Lavender - to be planted near St. Fiacre
Yarrow, double pearl & rose - to be planted near St. Fiacre

I switched to my summer schedule today.  I made it to the garden before 10 and worked until after 12.  Two hours is about my limit most days. I mixed all my amendments, planted the marjoram, weeded the sage and cleared half of the last long bed.  I worked until I ran out of shade and energy!  While resting in my favorite chair after lunch, I had a visit from a Rose-breasted Grosbeak at the feeder.


Late in the afternoon, we went to Amanda's softball game.

Amanda had to play 2nd base today because of injuries.  


Thursday, April 29

In studying for my online course, I got interested in the carbon dioxide impact on the environment created by the production of different kinds of meat. The carbon impact is measured by how many kg of CO2 is generated to produce one kg of meat.
    Chicken/turkey    2.33 kg
    Farmed Salmon   4.14 kg
    Pork                     4.62 kg
    Beef                    15.44 kg
    Lamb                  20.44 kg

Best fist for Omega-3 mg per 3.5 oz serving
    Mackerel   2.6
    Salmon      1.5
    Tuna          1.5
    Catfish, flounder, cod, other non-fatty white fish   0.3
                 these are lower in calories per serving than fatty fish

Bill went with me to Pope's at Dixie-Lee Jct to buy tomato and pepper plants.  I did not find any Early Girls tomatoes, one of my favorites.  Before getting to Pope's we went to Ace Hardware to look at a grill that he is interested in.  They had what we wanted at a good price, avWeber 2-burner propane grill, so we loaded it into the car, already assembled.  The trip was a winner for both of us. Every day I make a little more progress on the garden.


Friday, April 30

How can April be over already?  The first half of the month was dry and seasonally warm.  The second half has been cool and damp.  I worked in the garden this moring and finally cleared all of the tomato bed.  It was badly overgrown with grass as a result of my straw mulch last year.  I planted the marjoran, parsley, fennel and borage in the 1st narrow bed.

In the afternoon I helped Bill put together the new grill.  That really means I stayed nearby to help if needed.  Even though the grill was assembled, there were still a few details to put together.




As I promised, I made Bill his favorite BiBimBap for Friday supper.


Saturday, May 1 - Derby Day

More gardening - May 1 is a good time for planting tomatoes and peppers.  I got into the ground all that I had bought.  I still need Early Girls and maybe a cherry or grape tomato.  I was able to manage several hours of work today.  Bill tilled the last long bed that I cleared yesterday.  I planted purple hull peas and 4 hills of yellow squash and a couple of green bell peppers in that bed.  In the remainder of the tomato bed, I planted okra, 2 hills of zucchini and 2 yellow bells.  I ran out of steam before finishing my flower/herb beds.


The 1st Saturday in May means the Kentucky Derby.  I made a mint simple syrup to take to the Brocks for our ritual mint juleps.  We had decided on nachos with taco meat and all the fixings.   I only contributed chips, salsa and guacamole.  We had fun, as usual.  After the race, we were watching an episode of Tennessee Crossroads and saw a feature on a catfish restaurant in Shiloh - Hagy's Catfish Hotel.  Maybe we'll check it out next week.


No comments:

Post a Comment