Tuesday, May 19, 2020

Quarantine Log, May 10 - May 16

Sunday, May 10

I got up to face supper dishes so decided to NOT cook breakfast on this Mother's Day morning.  Gone are the days of children and dad fixing breakfast for Mom (if that ever happened!).  I spent the rest of the morning working on this blog. I write in a bound journal and then once or twice a week transpose with pictures to this online format.

I was determined to NOT do any ordinary chores today - except of course cooking and cleaning up in the kitchen and feeding the sourdough. Of course, I was bored all afternoon.  We (I) decided to have some of Bonnie's steaks on the grill for a special supper.  We invited Bonnie to come for a drink on the deck (BYOB) and steaks.  The plan was to eat outside, but it was just too windy and cool.  We carefully social-distanced inside.  Why didn't I take a picture of those luscious steaks?  We were to eager to cut into them, I guess.  Other than the breeze, it was a AB day.  (Absolutely Beautiful).

I decided not to record any numbers on Sunday.  I need at least one day of respite.



Monday, May 11

The sourdough starter was supposed to be ready to bake today.  I assembled all my ingredients then decided that it wasn't quite ready.  I had removed a cup to continue the starter, so I fed both and will see what happens.  It is working, but slowly, not nearly doubling and smelling yeasty but not sour. It is more batter than sponge.


On this bright very cool and breezy day, I worked on masks with a new non-pleated pattern.  I also sent a message out to the church list to see if anyone needs a mask.  Only had three responses.


No numbers again today.


Tuesday, May 12

It has been unusually cool again today, only getting to the very low 60s.  I created a new "business" card and made a new log post about my project for "Stitched with a Prayer." (https://flowersandfeathers.blogspot.com/2020/05/stitched-with-prayer.html
 
I spent the rest of the morning making a couple of masks for church friends.  I decided to try to serger for all but the final top stitch and I like the outcome and ease of sewing.

After lunch I washed and packed the masks for mail to drop off on the way to Home Depot.  There I got more mulch, one monarda (bee balm), 3 day lilies, a lemon thyme and an orange bell pepper.  I got all but the bell pepper planted and spread 2 bags of mulch.  More to do later!





Numbers:  NY Times 8:20 am
US: 1,354,300 cases, +60,000 since Saturday; 80,600 deaths, +3,000 since Saturday
TN: 15,423 cases; 248 deaths
LoCo: 43 cases; 39 recovered

TN Dept of Health:
TN: 15,444 cases, +559 since yesterday, +1268 since Saturday; 251 deaths
LoCo: 955 tests
  1. Connecting: HD and making masks for specific friends
  2. Letting go
  3. Outside: working in the flower bed
  4. Moving: Home Depot garden center and flower bed work
  5. Creativity: new blog post
  6. Self-care: all
  7. Grateful to have purposeful work

Wednesday, May 13

The sourdough starter is looking better but the timing is not right.  I need to feed a starter earlier tomorrow to get a loaf done.  So I fed the current batch and will carry forward another day.  I spent most of the day working on masks yet only completed six. Two will be delivered to the VanWormers and the rest to church for whomever needs them.  Claire came over to bring me white thread for the top-stitch machine.  I've been out.  She also got little jars for her paint.

I looked up recipes for using the starter discard and I tried a "cracker" recipe with olive oil and Italian herbs.  We though it turned out great.

Numbers:  NY Times 8:53 am
US: 1,376,700 cases; 82,300 deaths
TN: 15,777 cases; 264 deaths
LoCo: 44 cases

TN Dept of Health 5/12 update:  16,110 cases; 264 deaths; 283,924 tests
LoCo: 44 cases, 40 recovered, 1063 tests
  1. Connecting: Long chat with Maggie V whose son has bad cancer (Michigan) and she can't be with him.  Talked to Laura & Claire
  2. Letting go
  3. Outside: not at all
  4. Moving: just around the house I managed 3412 steps
  5. Creativity: Mask making
  6. Self care: being creative with masks
  7. Grateful for a nice workplace

Thursday, May 14

Sourdough bread day!  First step was to "activate" the starter by adding equal weights of flour and warm water, stir together and let sit for 6 hours to bloom.  While that was working, Bill and I drove to Knoxville to pick up a fabric order at JoAnn.  We were back home well before lunch so I spent a couple of hours working in the pond flower bed. At 2:30, it was time for the next step in bread-making.  I used the dough hook on my mixer for kneading, rises and it was ready to bake after 8:30.  As recommended I baked it in my cast iron dutch oven.It came out better that I expected.  This has been an incredibly time-consuming process and a little expensive (wasteful) considering how much flour is thrown away.  But then flour is not that expensive.  I hope this is easier going forward now that the starter is made. 


Numbers:  NY Times 8 am
US: 1,398,700 cases; 84,100 deaths
TN: 16,261 cases; 271 deaths
LoCo: 46 cases
TN Dept of Health: 16,370 cases +260; 273 deaths; 292,917 tests
LoCo: 46 cases; 40 recovered

  1. Connecting - conversations at JoAnn
  2. Letting go
  3. Outside - working in my flower garden
  4. Moving - all day
  5. Creativity - bread-making
  6. Self-care - worked too hard outside
  7. Grateful

Friday, May 15

Video recording in the morning which stretched into the afternoon by the time I was done.  On the way home I stopped for a visit with Bonnie and then popped Food City for a few items.  The smoker truck was on site so I got a rack of ribs for supper.  Bought some potato salad and broccoli slaw mix for sides.  A nice glass of cab partnered well for a real Friday night treat.

Numbers:
TN Dept of Health: 16,970 cases; 290 deaths; 309,756 tests
LoCo: 48 cases; 41 recovered.
  1. Connecting with lots of friends today
  2. Letting go
  3. Outside - in and out and enjoyed the afternoon deck
  4. Moving  - around and about
  5. Creativity - video project
  6. Self-care - connecting with friends, treating myself to ribs
  7. Grateful for smoked ribs and a meal that I did not cook

Saturday, May 16

Happy Birthday, Melanie!
I worked on the deck flower/herb beds and pots.  My goal was to pot the remaining flowers/herbs on my bench.  After cleaning out a few weeds, I planted and potted all the flowers and the Thai and Greek basils.  I tried to tame the common mint and moved some lemon balm to a different location.  Then finished it all with mulch.  That finished me off as well! Plus the shade was gone by then.



Before breakfast I "activated" some starter to make focaccia.  After I cooled off and recovered I worked on the bread.  It finished at 6 pm in time to take to the Brocks for gin/tonics on their beautiful from porch. Pictured is the half that was left of a 9x13 loaf.

 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment