Sunday, May 10, 2020

Quarantine Log May 3 - May 9

Sunday, May 3

Sunday, Sunday. Oh, the Sunday sleep.   Slept in and enjoyed another beautiful, very warm spring day.  Nothing special recorded today.  Many businesses are opening this week, including malls.  The images of crowds don't look good.


Monday, May 4

The rain is holding off, so I used the morning to week around the pond flower bed.  It wasn't very hot, so I managed to get most of the center done.

After lunch, Bill and I ventured to Lowe's in Midtown (Harriman) for garden supplies. I wanted mulch, potting soil and bedding flowers. Bill needed supplies for the water faucet project.  The parking lot was full but large store was not congested. Most people I encountered were wearing masks.  Roane County has no active cases at this time.

Late afternoon we went to Laura's for Bill to meter-check their boat engine coil.

Fried Rice supper.



Numbers: NY Times 5 pm
US: 1,172,000 cases; 67,951 deaths
TN: 13,571 cases; 219 deaths
LoCo: 37 cases

The big increase in TN cases is due to testing at a prison in Trousdale County.  All inmates and staff were tested with about 50% testing positive.  2725 tests; 1349 positive (including 50 staff). Only 2% of inmates were symptomatic. That is more than the 70% federal prisoners who have tested positive.


  1. Connecting - Lowe's; Laura & Mike
  2. Letting go - normal shopping - what is normal anymore
  3. Outside - working in the flower bed
  4. Moving - working in the flower bed, walking around the garden center trying to avoid people
  5. Creativity ?
  6. Self-care - all of it
  7. Grateful to be healthy today

Tuesday, May 5

Grocery Day.  I have a big list.  I'm trying to keep several weeks ahead, but need milk and fresh fruit/vegetables today so might as well stock up. My last trip was April 24, 11 days ago.  I picked up eggs for Kathy and found that the store had a limit of 1 carton per customer, so I got her a 2 doz pack.  There seemed to be no particular shortage in the meat counter or elsewhere.  I also got several items for Laura and delivered them on the way home.  Before the grocery, I sent to the PO to send the Nat Geo "bug" issue to Owen.  He recently created a "Bug Rescue Center" on his back patio. I also ordered a Monarch Butterfly kit for him and the other children.  I always want to encourage their interest in science.  I also stopped by Bonnie's to deliver the drawer that we had repaired for her.

A rainy afternoon, so we spent the time inside.  Our washing machine is dying, so we've been online researching a new one.  Bill has found a likely candidate, so it looks like we'll be going back to Patterson's in Midtown tomorrow.

Cinco de Mayo called for taco supper. I tried the new Wampler Taco Meat.  It is a pork product sold in a roll like their sausage and just as good. Greens are from the garden.











Numbers:  NY Times 2:30 pm
US: 1,199,700 cases; 70,300 deaths
The tallies now include probable cases and deaths when those are reported by public health agencies
TN: 13,518 cases; 228 deaths
LoCo: 39 cases; 30 recovered; 729 neg tests
Roane Co: 8 cases, 8 recovered

  1. Connecting - Laura, Kathy, Bonnie
  2. Letting go
  3. Outside - just in & out errands
  4. Moving - grocery shopping
  5. Creativity
  6. Self-care- helping others
  7. Grateful to get out in the world

Wednesday, May 6

We went on a quest for a new washing machine.  Bill talked to Patterson's in Midtown and we should be able to get what we want there at a good price.  First we had to disconnect and remove the old washer.  Of course, Bill did all the work and I helped around the edges.  We loaded it into the back of the Xterra and headed to Midtown, hoping it wouldn't rain too much. We found a basic Maytag that will be our needs for under $500, then drove to their Rockwood warehouse to unload the old and load the new.  Bill got it in and hooked up with only one extra trip to Home Depot for new hoses.

I started a sourdough starter.  Wonder if it will work.  Usually these things don't work out for me. I'm using an old crockery bowl that has been on top of my refrigerator for many years.  I think it came from Mozelle's things and may have been her mother's bread bowl.

Pork Loin and sweet potatoes in the crock pot made a good supper.  We had a cool drizzle all day, but no real rain.



Numbers not recorded today.

  1. Connecting - talking with the salesman at Patterson's
  2. Letting go
  3. Outside - brief in & out
  4. Moving - just getting the washer in and out and moving around inside
  5. Creativity - I decided to take the plunge and try to create a sourdough starter.  I downloaded a e-cookbook and followed the directions.  I hope it works
  6. Self-care - trying something new
  7. Grateful that we can afford the things we need and want.

Thursday, May 7

It was in the 30's overnight, but dawned clear and sunny.  I saw a segment on a local morning show about East Tennessee History Center soliciting journals for this unusual time.  A young teacher read one of her entries.  It made me think that I should do better with my Q-log as I call it. However, I can only write as I'm inspired and most days I am not seeking or finding inspiration, but just getting by. I am trying to remember to record at least one photo for each day.

Instead of writing today I tackled more mundane tasks. In the morning, I finished putting together the tax documents for Mother and got them packaged to send her tax accountant, Ted. Filing has been delayed until at least July 15 and it may be postponed even further. I also downloaded the request for absentee ballot for the August primary.  Then I spent some time looking back through pictures for something suitable for Mother's Day for our church social media.

After lunch, I decided to spread the mulch in the flower beds that I had weeded on Monday. Then I weeded some more and now I need more mulch!  Two solid hours of work is about all I can manage. Fortunately, I had left-over pork roast for supper to which I added fried eggplant.  Rain is expected tomorrow.




Numbers: NY Times 8:22 am
US: 1,235,200 cases; 73,500 deaths
TN: 13796 cases; 246 deaths
LoCo: 39 cases









Friday, May 8

Damp, breezy, rainy day.  I'm out the door at 9 am to church for the video project.  Today Kathy sang in trio with Jo Lynn and Peg, "I Love to Tell the Story." Very well done. We are featuring familiar and comforting hymns in our music. After, I swung by the PO to mail mother's taxes and picked up some more old shorts from Bonnie to use for masks.  

Despite the drizzly rain, I got all the tomatoes and peppers covered and straw spread around the young bean shoots.  Light frost is predicted for the area.











At 6 pm sharp, we showed up at the Matzek's to celebrate Claire's graduation.  The Roane State ceremony would have been today and LCHS next wee.  Ceremonies are cancelled, postponed or changed all over the country.  We are very proud of her dual accomplishment at just 17 - HS diploma and Assoc. Degree at the same time!  She has been working diligently toward this day for 3 years. She plants to go to Middle Tenn State Univ to major in Forensic Science. Her goal is to go on for a doctorate in the field from Univ of West Virginia.







Numbers:
Although I look at the news & numbers every day, I don't always get them recorded, especially on Friday when I'm up and out early.

Today's biggest number is 1.  One positive case reported at Wampler's packing house on Hwy 70. All employees are to be tested today.  One positive case in the White House staff - one of Trump's valets who serves meals.




Saturday, May 9

We woke up to cold bright sunshine.  After our usual Saturday breakfast, I worked on the church web & FB to post the worship video.  Later, I repaired Bonnie's UT face mask I had made.  The strings had come off and I used the new elastic I ordered.  I also made another mask for Bill from some old blue-jean denim and somehow the day slipped by. 

















Later in the afternoon, Bill and I went for a walk.  Melton Hill park is still closed except for the boat launch area.  It seems crazy that even the roads are closed.  Still no word when the campground and other facilities will be opened.  The Great Smoky Mountain NP opened some roads and trails today, but camping and most restrooms remain closed. 






After our walk, I sat in the garden for a while.  It felt good to spend the quiet time there, NOT working, just enjoying the sun, a glass of wine and the birds.  See my post "Sitting in My Garden.

Numbers: NY Times 11 am
US: 1,294,000 cases; 77,418 deaths
New cases are decreasing in NYC, but still increasing in most places.
TN: 14,276 cases (209/100.000); 240 deaths (24ths in per capita)
LoCo: 39 cases (76/100,000)
Roane: 8 cases (15/100,000)
TN Dept of Health: 14,441 cases (up 345); 241 deaths (up 4)
LoCo: 39 cases, 31 recovered' 851 tests
TN: 86% of deaths over age 60 but only 18% of cases

No comments:

Post a Comment