Tuesday, May 12, 2020

Stitched with a Prayer


Stitched with a prayer is my face mask project.  This week I sent an email to the Trinity distribution offering face masks to anyone who asked.  I have been thinking of my project as "Stitched with a Prayer" because making the masks is fun and meaningful to me if I know who I'm sewing for.  I am using up remnants and fabrics that I bought at some point but haven't used. For lining, I am using some old sheets that no longer fit my beds. Using what's on hand makes me feel good, too.  The only thing I've purchased so far is a roll of elastic for the bands and a few stamps for mailing.

The project has given me a sense of agency in doing something positive to make a bad situation a little better.  People are somewhat reluctant to accept gifts, thinking, I believe, that they don't want to be a bother and don't want someone else to "go to any trouble."  What people don't take into account is that a gift raises up the giver more than the recipient.

So here are a few pictures of my project to-date:

My workspace

Block for pleated style

Detail for pleated style

Pleated, darted style with ties

Pleated style, in progress, with ties

Pleated style with older elastic

Cut outs for "molded" style

Some fabric on hand
A few finished "molded" style



No comments:

Post a Comment