Sunday, May 3, 2020

Quarantine Log - April 26 - May 2

Sunday, April 26
Another dreary Sunday.  I looked it up and the song is "Gloomy Sunday." It is about someone considering suicide.  Life is NOT that bad here. In fact, life is pretty good and today has been a good day.  I motivated myself to make some more masks. We watched the news show as usual, but no going outside.

Laura and Claire came over in the afternoon.  I did some stitching on a sweatshirt for Laura them Claire and I worked a jigsaw puzzle. She did most of it with a few minor contributions from me.  Big excitement was a possum scurrying into the garage.  We hope he left later. Their visit was a welcome distraction.

Gumbo for supper is always a production but it turned out great!

No numbers or daily recording.


Monday, April 27
I didn't record numbers again this morning.  Don't know why except I didn't wake up early.   The day turned fair so I ordered a few items from Tractor Supply and we drive in to pick them up.  After lunch, Bill mowed and I worked for about an hour cleaning up the bed in front of the house.  It is full of poison ivy and honeysuckle tucked in among the vinca.  I didn't even attempt to pull either out.

I also spent about an hour making call for the Loudon County Democrats.  That is way out of my comfort zone, but I got it done.  The governor announced this afternoon that some businesses across the state may begin opening this week.  We will stay in a while longer.  A bluebird nest check showed that the two hatchlings are fledging but two eggs did not hatch.

Late afternoon Bill and I shared some time and wine/beer on the deck.  Spaghetti for supper finished the day.


Tuesday, April 28
I was expecting a fair warm day, but it got off to a cloudy, rainy start.  Today was supposed to be a garden day. Instead, this morning I cleaned kitchen cabinet fronts, lower only.

The weather finally cleared around lunch time so I was able to get tomatoes set and the mulch fabric laid down.  It was actually hot working in the sun by mid-afternoon.



After supper, we got a Marco Polo video from the young Whitakers thanking us for Evangeline's birthday gift - doll clothes for the American Girls style dolls we got them for Christmas. It was fun to see their excitement.

Numbers: (NY Times, 8:44 am)
Global: 3+ million cases; 206,000 deaths
US: 987,691 cases; 50,819 deaths + 5,200 NYC presumed; the case count is increasing by more than 2000/day
TN: 9796 cases, 143/100,000; 192 deaths, 3/100,000
LoCo: 27 cases, 52/100,000; 488 tests given
TN has 1000 new cases since Saturday, yet the state is opening.     Some more testing is available, but not enough.
TN Dept of Health case count as of yesterday afternoon: 9918 cases; 154,402 tested; 18.9% of cases are over 60 yrs old but 84.2% of TN deaths


  1. Connecting ??
  2. Letting go - being able to work as much as I used to
  3. Outside - gardening
  4. Moving - gardening
  5. Creativity - gardening
  6. Self-care - gardening
  7. Grateful for the continuity of my garden spanning so many years.  Evidently it meets many of my needs

Wednesday, April 29
The day began fair and warm.  After breakfast, Kathy brought me a beautiful bunch peonies from her yard.  She cut them ahead of her mowing crew.  In anticipation of afternoon rain, I set out the last of my bedding plants - 4 peppers and the rest of the marigolds. All is planted now except for the cukes and zukes I started in pots. And a few herbs which I may keep in pots.


Claire and Amanda came over at noon for an hour and a half of work cleaning the rest of the kitchen wood.  The rain set in just as they were leaving and continued the rest of the afternoon and evening.

The new iPhone connector (combo Lightning/USB drive) arrived.  I tested it and it seems to work fine.  It should expedite file transfer for the church video project.

Numbers: NY Times 9 am
US: 1+ million cases; 53,034 deaths + 5300 NYC presumed; Most still believe the cases and deaths are undercounted because not everyone is tested
TN: 10,031 cases; 198 deaths (only confirmed cases are reported)
LoCo: 28 cases - an increase of 5 since last Wednesday
TN Dept of Health: 10,052 cases; 188 deaths; 161,926 tests

  1. Connecting -Kathy, Claire and Amanda
  2. Letting go ??
  3. Outside - morning gardening
  4. Moving - gardening
  5. Creativity - learning to use the new device
  6. Self-care - all above
  7. Grateful for my granddaughters and best friend

Thursday, April 20
I decided that this cool rainy day would be good for sewing.  I completed 8 masks - my highest daily output. I had already cut most of the fabric pieces, but I cut a few more linings from my old sheet.  Using the elastic from Bonnie has really accelerated the production but it will soon be gone.



Numbers: NY Times 9:18 am
US: 1,045,300 cases; 60,900 deaths; more than 1000 deaths/day in April
TN: 10,312 cases; 204 deaths; graph shows new cases continuing to increase; the state is refusing to report presumed cases so that mortality rate wont "look" so bad!
LoCo: 32 cases - still increasing

  1. Connecting - Happy Hour with Marie by phone; we talked for about an hour
  2. Letting go - Happy Hour with friends at a bar/restaurant
  3. Outside - not today - cool & rainy
  4. Moving - not enough
  5. Creativity - completed 8 masks
  6. Self-care ?
  7. Grateful for connecting, even if by phone


Friday, May 1
Video day at church.  We started an hour earlier in order to be finished before lunch, so I was up and out by 9.  The new Lightning/Flash drive worked great once I remembered how to transfer from iPhoto to iXpand.  It greatly shortened the file transfer time.

After leaving church I stropped to visit with Bonnie on her front porch.  Tammie and Brian B stopped by so it was quite a party!

I gave away all the masks I made except one for me.

Grilled burgers on a lovely spring evening.

Numbers:  NYTimes 8:43 am
US: 1,075,600 cases; 63,100 deaths
TN: 10,562 cases; 208 deaths
LoCo: 33 cases
Baldwin Co, Ala (Orange Beach): 174 cases


Saturday, May 2
Spent a leisurely morning in bed late before a Sat breakfast of homemade bread toast, scrambled eggs and sausage.  Got 2 doz fresh eggs from April.  Her eggs from free-range chickens can't be beat at $3/doz.  We use about a dozen every week unless I'm baking.  She has some newly hatched chicks so maybe she will continue in the egg business for the foreseeable future.  She said that a coyotee had gotten her rooster so no more babies any time soon. I didn't accomplish much today.

The first Saturday in May is Derby Day.  That means Mint Julep Day.  This year's Derby is postponed until Sept 5.  Nevertheless, I made mint syrup for juleps. I use the mint I grow for tea year-round and make mint jelly.  But I really grow it in order to indulge in the occasional mint julep. Kathy joined me for Mint Juleps on the deck and Bill even sat with us.  We usually get together to watch the race but this year we just enjoyed catching up in person.



Tuna steaks on the grill with leftover squash casserole and peas.

Numbers: 2 pm update
Global: 3,370,900 cases; 241,677 deaths
US: 1,127,495 cases; 65,897 deaths
TN: 11,951 cases; 216 deaths
LoCo: 32 cases
TN Dept Health later updated to 12,661 cases; 209 deaths; 196,276 tests
    and Loudon County had a BIG jump to 37 cases.


  1. Connecting: Kathy for Mint Juleps
  2. Letting go: visiting friends and sharing a meal
  3. Outside: enjoyed a beautiful day but didn't work too hard
  4. Moving: nothing extra
  5. Creativity: Mint syrup
  6. Self-care: not working too hard
  7. Grateful for a beautiful day and good companionship













No comments:

Post a Comment