Sunday, June 20, 2021

The Journey Continues... June 14-20

Monday, June 14

Today was all about Amanda.  She had a 12:30 tee time at Egwani Farms Golf course in Alcoa, the first day of a 2-day tournament.  Bill went along and drove the RV. She likes to get there in time to warm up for at least half an hour. The weather forecast was for a 90-degree day, so we definitely wanted to rent a cart.  Even with the little bit of shade offered by the cart, it was VERY HOT.  Amanda had some good shots and a few less successful. The other two girls in her group were about the same.

Beautiful sunny hot day on the back nine

Amanda getting her score


Too hot and tired to cook, so we had another salad supper and early to bed.



Tuesday, June 15

Amanda's golf tournament continued today, with another mid-day tee off.  Bill skipped today, so it was just Amanda and me.  The heat was not as intense, thank goodness!  Mike arrived later in the afternoon to see the final holes and take Amanda home, but I stayed to finish the round with her.  Amanda had an above average score on the front nine, but below average on the back nine.  She made quite a remarkable comeback and was satisfied with how she finished.






Bill stayed home to work on the deck.  He shopped for the makings of a Taco Tuesday supper.


Wednesday, June 16

We woke up to a beautiful, cool morning, just 60 after several days of heat and humidity. It was perfect for working in the garden.  Weeds had taken over my poor pitiful green beans and okra, too.  With rain, then heat, then golf, I've not had time for weeding.  I spent an hour pulling weeds from the green bean row.  They had to be carefully pulled by hand because they were so close to the bean plants. The mulched rows have fared pretty well.

Since it wasn't too hot, I was able to hold up long enough get the okra weeded as well.  I always feel better when my garden is orderly.  The purple-hull peas, squash and cucumbers are all thriving.
I spent most of the afternoon working on my sermon for Father's Day.  We let Ruby fix our favorite salmon for supper.  

One okra row is almost weeded, the other is not.  What a difference!

I hope the green beans will recover from deer and weeding. 

Order was finally restored to this small corner of the garden.

For lunch, I picked up Kathy and we went to Marilyn's for our monthly lunch.  Connie and Linda were there, too, so our little group was complete.  We enjoyed our time together and Marilyn's wonderful berry cobbler for dessert.

In the afternoon, I finished my sermon.  The great news of the day was that Congress passed the Juneteenth Holiday bill.  June 19 will not be a federal holiday commemorating the day that former slaves in Galveston, TX, finally learned that the Emancipation Proclamation signed by Pres. Lincoln two and a half years earlier had ended slavery in the south.  The war had ended 2 months earlier, but the former slaves did not learn of their status until Federal troops arrived in Galveston.  The day has been informally celebrated in many black communities since 1865.

We had enchiladas made from leftover taco meat.  


Friday, June 18
We've been planning to take the kayaks out on Melton Hill and this morning was the perfect time.  It was not as cool as Wednesday and Thursday mornings, but still quite pleasant.  We were on the water by 8:30 and fished for about 2 hours, as usual.  Also, as usual, we didn't catch many fish and didn't keep any.  I actually caught one "keeper" but put him/her back.  Catch and Release!  I always enjoy paddling up to the first cove just to see what I can see.  If anyone asks what I'm fishing for, the answer is "fun!" I always catch plenty of that.


One Keeper who gets to swim again

Bonnie's birthday was last Tuesday. To celebrate, we invited her for supper to grill her steaks.  They've been in the freezer a while, but were still very good.  Bill always does a great job of grilling them.  After a hot afternoon, the evening cooled enough for us to enjoy sitting on the deck.  We, decided to eat outside and sat talking until after dark (after 10 during these long summer days).

Deer damage is very significant


Thursday, June 17

Another cool morning was very welcome after the heat and humidity last week and earlier this week. I went to the garden to finish cleaning up the beds.  I even weeded the asparagus, which gets neglected many year.  Both mornings I spent time sitting in the shade of the pear trees, just for the pleasure of a beautiful morning and enjoying a task completed.


Saturday, June 19 - Happy Birthday, Bill and Juneteenth Day

This morning's garden work was in the lower flower bed.  Yesterday I bought a few blooming plants, zinnias and lantana, to fill in where deer have eaten the black-eyed susans.  We will see if this works.  I spent the morning planting and weeding.  I am satisfied with the result so far.



Today, Bill's birthday, is now an official Federal holiday. The recognition of this holiday may make more aware of the history of enslaved people in this country.

I spent some time practicing and tweaking my Father's Day sermon.  At 4 pm we went to Laura's for a birthday celebration.  Amanda made a fabulous lemon ice-box pie and Laura bought a key line pie, Bill's favorite.  I had to sample both and both were delicious.  What a cool treat!  The Matzek's new patio is shady in the afternoon and the perfect spot for a pie-party.  Kathy and Wayne joined the party, of course.

After plenty of birthday treats, we didn't have much appetite for  supper, so just finished the enchiladas and a salad.  I am always chagrinned when I realize that I was too busy being present to remember to take a picture.


Sunday, June 20 - Father's Day

I've been preparing all week to serve in the pulpit at Trinity today (and next week), during our transition between pastors.  For a Father's Day theme, I chose to talk about Joseph, Jesus' Earthly Father.  The text is in my sermon list and the video link is:   https://youtu.be/vGRmc8v_7Tc

We took it easy all afternoon. UT Men's Baseball played in the college world series at 2 pm, so we watched them get beaten by UVA.

No comments:

Post a Comment