Friday, June 25, 2021

The Journey Continues...Golfing with Amanda, June 21-24

 Monday, June 21 - Home and baking day

I started the levain for sourdough bread last night and let it proof overnight.  This morning, I was ready to start the rising and folding steps.  By later afternoon, the loaves were ready to bake.  I got a nice rise this time, so have verified that the the best procedure is to make the levain the night before and complete the bread the next day.  It requires about 8-9 during the day, so I have to plan it for a day that I can be home all day.

I used the wait time between steps to  get started on study for my sermon. This week's topic will be Unity, not Uniformity and the scripture will be from Ephesians 4.  I thought I might have used this text in the past. I got distracting on looking through may past sermons to find out.  In the process, I made a data base of all my sermon titles, scripture and dates.  I have, in fact, used Ephesians 4 twice before.  This data base will help me to not repeat topics and scripture.  However, I doubt that anyone remembers besides me!


Tuesday, June 22 - Golf with Amanda

Today Amanda played at Knoxville Municipal Golf Course and had an early 8:15 am tee time.   That meant we had to leave home shortly after 7.  Rain threatened, but cleared out and we had nice weather.  Amanda had a great outing, with a score of 88.

Short but tricky par 3

Good Drive

Three beautiful young golfers.  I think they had a good day!

We stopped at Taco Bell for lunch on the way home.  it has been a long time since I've eaten Taco Bell.  I was glad that I escaped without any negative consequences!  

During the afternoon I spent some additional time in preparation.  I am using Fr. Richard Rohr's Daily Meditations on Unity as resource material. David called late in the day to say that he hoped that he and the kids could come on Friday for a long weekend.  We hope so, too! We ended the day watching UT get eliminated by Texas (the other UT) in the CWS (College World Series).


Wednesday, June 23

With David and the kids expected for the weekend, I knew I needed to get my whole sermon on paper and essentially finished today.  Tomorrow is another golf day and I'll need to get ready for the Whitakers on Friday.  I woke up with an inspiration of how to frame my premise.  On Monday I had gathered a lot of scripture and put down some thoughts, but it had not really come together. Today, I think I got it!  By the end of the day I had it all written. I will have time on Friday to revise and practice.  The kids won't arrive until after supper.


Thursday, June 24 - Day Trip for Golf

The golf tournament today is at the Bear Trace Course at Cumberland Mountain State Park near Crossville, about an hour's drive.  Bill joined us and made it an RV trip.  I made a picnic of turkey sandwiches, apple slices and chips.  We left at 10 for an 11:15 (Central Time) tee-off.  That got us to the course with time to spare.  Amanda had plenty of time to warm up on the driving range and putting green while Bill and I had our picnic. Amanda doesn't like to eat too much before a match, but she had a protein drink.  We rented a cart and followed Amanda around the course, which is very scenic.  Fortunately, we had a cool, sunny day...perfect weather.  She did very well on a difficult course and ended the day with a 93, good enough for 2nd out of 7 girls. 

Scenic Course


This ravine got both girls.  You better not miss the green here!

Another difficult approach

Amanda got the silver medal for 2nd

No comments:

Post a Comment