Tuesday, June 8, 2021

The Journey Continues...Golfing with Amanda, May 31 - June 6

Monday, May 31 - Memorial Day

When I looked out of my kitchen window early this morning, my first thought was, "What a bright sunshiny day!"  Isn't that a song lyric? I found the song on YouTube and we listened to it as we started on our walk through the park.  (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrHxhQPOO2c)   I Can See Clearly Now - Lyrics by Jimmy Cliff

I can see clearly now the rain is gone.
I can see all obstacles in my way.
Gone are the dark clouds that had me blind.
It's gonna be a bright (bright)
a bright (bright) sunshiny day.  Look all around, there's nothing but blue skies. Look straight ahead, there's nothing but blue skies.

The sun was warm and the air a cool 50, which Bill described as a 'Pocono Day.' My walking reflection:

The moment, right now Holds all the past and future This moment is ALL.

After our walk, we continued to enjoy the cool morning as we worked outside.



To celebrate Memorial Day, we went to the Brock's for a "cook-out" which turned out to be a "cook-in." It was sunny and hot outside on their deck. I made crunchy (oriental) cole slaw, Kathy made potato salad and we cooked burgers. We had a fun and delicious celebration. We realized that although 3 of the 4 of us were veterans, and many family members in previous generations served in the military going back to the American revolution, we had no record of family members killed in warfare.


Tuesday, June 1

Amanda had her first golf tournament of the summer on the Sneds Jr. Golf Tour. She was due at Green Meadow Country Club in Louisville (Maryville) for a 12:30 tee time. It was a warm day, but not too hot. I walked the 1st nine holes with her and Mike arrived later to finish and bring her home. Even though it took a little over 2 hours, we covered only about 2 1/2 miles. I took my little folding stool so I could sit in the shade during the wait-time.

Amanda getting in some practice swings before the match


Wednesday, June 2

I was at my computer a lot today. I worked on assembling pictures for a photo book project for Pastor Kristie and did reading and research for my upcoming Father's Day sermon. It will center around Joseph the early father of Jesus. There is much speculation and Joseph and few clues in the New Testament or other early writings. My thesis is that we can know what kind of father Joseph was by looking at how Jesus talked about God, the Father.

We took the boat for a trial run all the way up to Reactor Bend. It ran fine and we enjoyed the ride. When we got back, I discovered that deer had jumped the garden fence and mowed down most of my green beans. I love the deer, but they need to stay out of the garden! Usually I add 3 rows of twine above the wire fence to deter them, but I had been procrastinating, so its really my fault. The deer were just doing what deer do and my tender beans must have looked awfully good to them! I had just enough twine to put up one row above the fence. I'll have to buy more.

I didn't have to cook because we got Ruby Tuesday's BOGO salmon dinners.


Thursday, June 3

Amanda had another golf tournament. Today we went to Whittle Springs course in northeast Knoxville for a 12:15 tee time. Rain and thunderstorms were predicted but fortunately we had only a few very light sprinkles all afternoon. Again, Amanda played in a 3-some with 2 other girls about her age. They were the only girls in their division today. With the prospect of walking a very hilly 18-hole course and the threat of rain and potential lightning, I got up the courage to rent a golf cart. It was my first time to drive a cart. I was glad I had it even though I didn't get very many steps for the day. Amanda played well except for an unfortunate encounter with a creek and some geese on hole 10.

Amanda in the dark shirt, contemplating her putt.
If you look closely, you can see the geese on the right


The girls were evenly matched and good sports.


Friday, June 4

After yesterday's rain (it stormed at home while we were in Knoxville), we were expecting a nice morning. We got ourselves going for a walk and were glad we did. We both needed it! After, I went to church to pick up plastics for recycling, took them to the center and then went to the grocery.

In the afternoon I worked on the photo book project. Earlier in the week I had come across a recipe for grilled shrimp, so that what we had for supper. It sounded so good, with new potatoes and red onions finished on the grill and served with a freshly prepared roasted red pepper sauce. We at it, but I threw away the recipe. It was not as good as it sounded and certainly not worth the effort!

We took a different path this morning

A new perspective


We had our own encounter with a family of geese.  Daddy was a little bit aggressive.


Saturday, June 5

This morning I finished the photo book (on-line) and sent it (electronically) to Walgreens to print.  It is to be a going away remembrance gift for Pastor Kristie. After lunch, I went to Walgreens to pick it up and to Home Depot for some more twine, two spools of bright yellow nylon. I need 450 ft to make 3 rows around 3 sides of the garden.  None is needed on the shed side.

The Belmont Stakes was to be run late this afternoon.  Kathy and I planned a fish-fry.  She supplied 3 filets each for them, including Aiden, and I added 3 each for us.  Each filet I cut into 2 lengthwise pieces, so I had 36 pieces to dip, bread in cornmeal and fry, 3 at a time. I fried all the fish as well as okra and hush puppies and we took it up there for 6 o-clock.  She made a delicious cucumber salad and drinks. We enjoyed another feast!  We watched the race a most of us (not me) picked the favorite who actually won for a change.


Sunday, June 6

After church we had a covered-dish dinner to celebrate Pastor Kristie and say good-bye. I made my crunchy cole slaw (again). I passed around the photo book for everyone to sign and presented it to her with a few appropriate remarks. We had a great turn-out and, of course, wonderful food. I brought home enough for a simple supper.

After a good rest, I was able to put up 2 rows of twine string around the garden. I'll need Bill's help to do the 3rd row. I hope it will keep the deer out as it has in the past.

Throughout the day I worked on a batch of bread. I began right after breakfast with making the levain so it could proof for about 6 hours. During the afternoon, I went through the steps of mixing, folding and rising. Loaves went in the refrigerator to proof overnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment