Sunday, December 10, 2023

Advent Journal, Dec 4 - 10

Monday, December 4

It is 8:11 pm as I begin to write.  I haven't ready my chapter for tomorrow's study group, "A Wesleyan Christmas." I will get started as soon as my Ipad charges enough because I have the digital version.

For our December meeting, our UMW group had a "Baby Shower for Jesus" to benefit Suzannah's House ministry in Knoxville.  The women of our group donated an amazing amount of baby goods which will be used to "shower" each new mother served by Suzannah's House. Fifteen women gather around the table for coffee, tea, cookies and conversation.  We had a couple of seasonal readings and a long conversation about homelessness and discussed a project that we might undertake.

I spent plenty of time today on "works of mercy," working with Santa's Helper, both before and after UMW.  I had 4 kids to shop for, those whose gifts were incomplete. I got to Walmart at 9 am but didn't make much headway before leaving to pick up Susan R for UMW. After UMW and taking Susan home, I went back to Walmart and finished shopping.  I finally left FRC at 3:30.

I got home in time for a 4 pm meeting with Monica Vargas and her mother Jobanna. I learned on Saturday that Monica has a housecleaning business and they came for an evaluation.  I will begin services.

"A Wesleyan Way" Chapter 2

Both Lent and Advent are seasons of repentance and royalty, signified bby the liturgical color of purple.  Prayer plays a central role in this time of reflection and preparation.

In reference to hearing God's voice in prayer, Nadia Boltz-Weber says, "I wish God would shut up."

John Wesley "The end of your praying is not to inform God, as though he knew not your wants already; but rather to inform yourselves; to fix the ... sense of your continued dependence on him who only is able to osupply all your wants."

Tuesday, December 5

My work day (Santa Helper) started with a 9 am pick-up at Lenoir City High School.  I was delighted to find Amanda's Honor Picture still displayed in the Lobby.


After delivering the gifts to FRC and helping to get it checked in, I went to church for the Advent Study.  Then back to FRC to work until 3:30.  

As soon as I got home, Bill and I went back to town to the Verizon store.  Bill swapped his flip phone for an IPhone and I got a new 15Pro IPhone.  We are up-to-date!  It took 2 hours.

Wednesday, December 6

Today's schedule was to work at FRC all day, including shopping at Walmart.  Laura had several bags of clothes and blankets from Barbara Matzek. After work, she loaded them in the X-terra for me to take to church.

Thursday, December 7

Thursday morning I joined Cindy and Pam at Riverside Cafe to interview Kimberly for the Good Samaritan Client Service Manager position.  This is her 2nd interview. This interview went much better and she will be offered the position. I went from there to church but didn't participate in yoga.  I needed to print UMW mission giving letters and prepare them for mailing.  I also had all the bags to unload for One Heart Community Closet. Fortunately, I had help with the heavy bags.  I left them in the room to deal with later. I didn't skip lunch with the yoga group, though.  We went to Shoney's.  I spent the rest of the afternoon at FRC.

Friday, December 8

Friday morning I met Pam G at Avalon for a gift pick-up.  These are extra toys and not part of the regular Santa helper.  They will be used to supplement as needed.   I managed to get away from FRC at 2 pm today.  I was tired after a busy work week.  I'm not used to all this work! Spending so much time on works of mercy leaves little time or energy for piety.

I did make time to cook a nice catfish dish for supper. This dish doesn’t have a name so I’ll call it Catfish with what I had on hand. Garlic and Parmesan with a little shrimp make anything good! Served over Pasta and peas.


Saturday, December 9

Saturday started very nicely. After breakfast, I prepped my SS lesson and sent it out. (Work of piety).  UT Men's Basketball game started at noon and we watched (on TV of course). Somewhere along the way, I prepared a rack of ribs with my favorite and famous rub to marinate for a while. After the game, I made a loaf of pumpkin bread. Whe it was done, I put the ribs in the oven on low to cook for 2 or 3 hours. I made coleslaw and heated some canned baked beans.  It all turned out perfect and I cleaned my plate before I rememberd that I should have taken a picture.  Today was a rainy, yucky day and I was glad that I didn't have to go out.

Sunday, December 10

Sunday was also cold and damp and except for church, we stayed in. Sunday School and church count for acts of piety.




No comments:

Post a Comment