Sunday, December 3, 2023

Advent Journal, Nov 27 - Dec 3

Monday, November 27

After spending several hours today working on online materials for advent (for church), I finally got around to reading the introduction and first chapter of this year's advent study, "All the Good: A Wesleyan Way of Christmas." I'm not too enthusiastic about it, but it is solidly Wesleyan.  One advent discipline, inspired by John Wesley's practice is to keep a journal of daily activity, spiritual and otherwise, and noting how I use my time and practices of "means of Grace."

The first chapter begins with John the Baptist, Luke 3:1-7, calling us to repentance. It gives a thorough explanation of Wesley's concept of Grace and means of Grace through acts of piety and charity.  It ends with St. Francis's prayer: "Lord make me an instrument of your peace."  The chapter includes a good explanation of the importance of small groups in the Wesleyan Way.

Advent formally begins on Sunday, Dec 3, but today begins my advent journey and journal. To account for my time today: I read, watched morning news and drank coffee in bed with Bill until 9 am. After breakfast and clean-up we did 40 minutes of yoga.  The yoga practice is very nice and extra-special to have Bill participate. I spent several hours working on creating an Advent flyer and making an Advent page on the Trinity website.  I also posted the Advent study on FB as a recurring event.  This work was interrupted by lunch, watching local news and several games of solitaire.  I found time to fill the bird feeders and topped off the pond.  It was after 4 pm when I finally settled down with a cup of tea to read tomorrow's advent lesson.

Tuesday, November 28

It is actually Wednesday morning as I begin working on Tuesday notes.  That's the way it often goes.  I had time Tuesday afternoon but not the mindfulness for reflection.  Tuesday morning started early with a 9 am meeting at Good Samaritan.  The nominations committee met with and interviewd 3 candidates for the parti-time position of Client Service Manager, to replace Suzanna who is retiring at the end of the year.  After interviewing all three, we eliminated one as not a good fit for the position.  Both remaining candidates bring strengths to the position, but they are very different in style and personality.  Cindy will check references and if there is still not obvious choice, we will have to talk to them again.  The interview and follow-up discussions lasted until noon, so I missed the first session of our Advent Study.  However, I consider any work on behalf of Good Samaritan to be a "work of charity/mercy" because it contributes to the GSC mission of helping our neighbors in need. 

After a bried check-in at church and a handful of peanuts, I went to Knoxville for a scheduled hair cut.  Vicki always does a good job!  I was glad that I didn't have to go out again.  The day has been cook, sunny and very breezy.  Up north, snow if blowing, so I'm happy to have our fine weather.

Tacos for supper.  We watched an episode of "The Crown" and remembered Princess Diana's death and burial - a sad episode and well-done series.  We ended the night on a lighter note with Steve Martin's "Only Murders in the Building."

By the way, I finally talked to LCUB about broadband hook-up and spent time investigating DirecTV streaming. We may be making the switch soon.

Wednesday, November 29

At 11 am I will be out the door to meet a young woman about a Mom's group meeting at the church.  Then I'll be back home briefly to help Bill take the trolling motor off the boat so that tomorrow he can take the boat to a shop for repair. Then I'll be back in town to meet Bonnie at 2:15.  She has invited me to go to the Lady Vol basketball game which starts at 5 pm.  I'll be using a ticket courtesy of Jeff Lockett.  It will be a full day so I don't expect any more journaling time today!

Jeff, Scot and Deborah Lockett

Good seats for the game


p.s. My meeting with Erica was very positive.  She is an earnest young woman and wants to start of mom's group.  Her interest is to support stay-at-home moms like herself who have babies, toddlers and pre-schoolers.  She has twin boys, 11 months old!  It is not primarily a play group, but of course it would be that, too.  We meet again in 2 weeks to begin more specific planning.

Saturday, December 2

As expected, I did not have any more journaling time on Wednesday.  I met Bonnie as planned.  We drove to W Knox Co to pick up her friend Ronnie and then on to "Fieldhouse Social," a sports bar, for an early supper.  We made it to the arena in good time for the 5 pm tip-off against Notre Dame.  The game was pretty good, with our Lady Vols leading most of the way.  They just were not able to finish and lost the fourth quarter and the game.  I was home by 8 pm, in time to join Bill watching the men also lose a game they should have won against North Carolina.

Thursday was yoga as usual, Kathy riding with me.  We had lunch at Gondolier where I had the eggplant parmesan.  It was as good as I remembered it!  I did nothing of note so should have had time for reading or journaling but I didn't have the right mind-set.  I made enchiladas with left-over taco meat.  Excellent!  I planned a baking day on Friday, so set up the levain before going to bed.

Friday morning I worked on sourdough and during the resting phases I started working on a SS lesson for the 1st Sunday of Advent. I am exploring Fr. Richard Rohr's "Preparing for Christmas." I am trying to incorporate some of that and the daily readings & questions into the lesson.  This in addition to the Wesleyan Way! Studying and preparing to lead SS can certainly be classified as an act of piety, since I'm keeping score! I've been reflecting on piety and mercy as described by Wesley.  I wonder where baking bread or gardening fit in.  Neither could be considered a work of mercy or charity because only me and mine (and maybe the planet) benefit. Neither would be considered an act of piety, although they can be and often are meditative acts with spirituality of purpose. Both are more than just utilitarian duties.

After the loaves were finally in the banetons to rise for 4 hours in the refrigerator, I was ready to go to River Grove, Loudon, to visit Jim A (a work of mercy!). He is not doing well and seems to have completely given up on life.  His situation is bad, lying in bed, not even interested in TV, not leaving his room.  He doesn't even want the light on.  His physical care is adequate, but emotionally he has given up.  What does he have to live for?

I had a big grocery list to fill and some some Santa helper clothing to buy for 4 children for FRC.  I also needed to purchase some baby items for our UMW "baby shower" to benefit Susannah's Place (a home for young women just out of jail or rehab.)  When doing this kind of shopping, I often think of St. Paul's words in Romans 12:1, "I appeal to you, therefore, brothers and sisters, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship." It is an act of mercy that I freely give.

Nevertheless, I was very glad to get home, exhausted but satisfied.  Home just in time to bake the 3 loaves.  It takes the oven about 45 minutes to come up to 500, so I had a little time to put up my feet and have a drink and snack.  Supper would be leftover enchiladas and salad.  The bread turned out great!

Saturday did not offer much respite from the holiday schedule.  The first Saturday of the month is the day for One Heart  Community Closet at Trinity, 10 am - noon.  I have committed to myself to be present more often for this outreach, so I was present before 10 am to open the doors.  I'm glad I was, because Monica did not make it until 11 am.  I had a single woman looking for clothing and bedding for her extended family who arrived just after 10.  A family of three cam a little later (from Knoxville). They not only took a few items, but they also donated some children's clothes which we greatly needed.

Some time later, a woman came with a large donation of men's clothing.  Her husband died about a year ago.  He was the son of Pat Guinn Navarro, a teacher at Eaton when Laura and David were students there.  Small town! I had responded to her post on FB looking for a place to donate.  It was a successful morning - a work of mercy.

I had a short visit with Laaura on the way home.  At home, I finished preparing my SS lesson ( a work of piety) and sent it out before settling down to write.  I hope I don't have to go out again on this rainy day.

Sunday, December 30

Barbara Matzek, Mike's mother, passed away today.  She had cancer and was under hospice care at home.  The end came quickly with at least 2 of her girls there with her.

At church today we dedicated the gifts that our church has provided for Santa's helper.  We sponsored 5 children.

Trinity Chrismon Tree




No comments:

Post a Comment