Thursday, November 18, 2021

The Journey Continues - Into Fall, November 8-10

 Monday, November 8

I began the day with a trip to Michael's in Turkey Creek in search for frames for the Home Place pictures for Park and Cindy.  The to Lenoir City for Santa helper shopping at Walmart - this time for 2 teenage boys.  Each wanted a video game which I ordered online.  I was able to get the rest of their things in our local store. 

Bonnie invited me for shrimp and tamales for lunch and I gladly accepted.  When I got home, Bill had the boat ready for a ride up the lake to see what we could see.  We are trying to take every opportunity that mild weather provides.  The leaves were beautiful.  We were home in time for me to make BiBimBap before heading off for a church admin meeting.



Tuesday, November 9

Bill has been interested in taking another day trip in the RV.  We decided to return to Red Clay State Historic Park, south of Cleveland, TN, near the GA border.  We went there back in March, but the museum was closed for renovation.  We packed our picnic and drove about 2 hours to the park.  Before enjoying our picnic, we watched the interpretive movie and toured through the little museum.  The park was the site of the last councils of the Cherokee Nation before beginning the long trek, the Trail of Tears, to Oklahoma.  It was here, in the last council meeting that they learned that some of their leaders had signed the final treaties, ceding all their Eastern lands.  The Red Clay Council site included the spring, known as Blue Spring, from which 500,000 gallons of clear, cold water flows every day.  The spring, long a sacred site, provided ample water for the large gatherings.  


Reconstructed Cherokee Council House


The site was a farm, with small "guest huts" to house some of the important participants and guests.




The spring and pool

The creek that flows from the spring and pool


After our picnic, we hiked the trail up to the lookout tower.  It was a beautiful walk through the woods - quiet, no one else on the trail, light filtering through the trees and leaves gently falling.  I felt an understanding of the term "forest bathing." That idea perfectly captures my experience as my sensation was one of being immersed in the trees and one with the nature.

Trail signs in Cherokee and English



Bathing in the Forest

We did not find a panoramic view from the lookout, but if we looked closely, we could catch a glimpse of the mountains through the trees.




On the trip home, not far out of the park, we passed a herd of bison! They were not much interested in us.  We declared it a successful day trip, topped by Ruby Tuesday dinners.



Wednesday, November 10

I was on the road early this morning for an appointment with an orthopedic doc about my shoulder pain.  His diagnosis confirmed what Mike and I had decided - am impingement caused by an inflamed bursa. I will take a 30-day round of Celebrex and 6 weeks of physical therapy with Mike.  I won't start the therapy until I get back from Mississippi.  After my appointment, I shopped for towels and sheets for a house gift.  After lunch, I put the prints in the frames and started packing.  

We had a quick visit with the Matzek's before supper. I made a pork tenderloin with potatoes, onions and carrots and made a big pot of green beans.  I planned for enough leftovers for Bill to have a meal or two while I'm gone.




No comments:

Post a Comment