Thursday, November 18, 2021

The Journey Continues...Nov 1 - 5 - An anniversary and a new bird

 Monday,  November 1

UMW meeting at 10:30 consumed the morning.  I got home in time to leave again with Bill for a meeting with our financial advisor, Byron.  We had a lengthy and informative session with him. Our investments have done very well this year because the stock market has done extraordinarily well.  


Tuesday, November 2

A home day is always welcome.  This was a big day for me.  I had the first installment of Maid4U today (a housecleaning service, just like it sounds).  The 2 ladies arrived promptly and worked hard for 2 hours cleaning, dusting, vacuuming and mopping.  They will come once a month.  My other big event was making an appointment to have my right shoulder issue evaluated.  It is just not getting any better.  

Beef enchiladas for supper.  Since I'm not taking many other pictures, I may have to resume taking pictures of food.  Planning and cooking supper always takes up a piece of my day.  


Wednesday, November 3

I went to Family Resource Center this morning to see Susan and begin the process of shopping for the Santa's Helper program.  I won't actually begin shopping until Friday, but I got the credit card, tax-exempt card and my first two client lists.  I had several other errands but made it home in time for Bill to take the car to have the tires rotated.

The highlight of my afternoon was seeing a Brown-headed Nuthatch at the feeder.  I've been on the lookout for this little bird for several years.  We are on the edge of its range, but it is known to be in the area.  My feeder was empty, so I filled it, hoping to keep the bird around.  I got my camera ready just in case, but the little nuthatch has not made another appearance yet.

Tonight's menu featured Curry Noodle Soup with Shrimp and Kale.



Thursday, November 4 - 49th Anniversary

Today's high won't make 50 and no sunshine - a good day to take pictures through the blinds.  I can stay warm while capturing the little birds at the feeders. Cardinal, Titmouse and Chickadee are daily regulars. House finches are back and at least one pair of wrens live nearby.  Mourning doves pick up the seeds scatted on the ground.  Chipmunks those spilled seeds, too and occasionally a deer will venture that close for a snack. The safflower seeds are too good to pass up.  The squirrels haven't been raiding the feeders but they are very busy burying nuts and acorns all over the yard.  I was excited that the Brown-headed nuthatch came back today.  I saw at least 2 which means there are probably several more. A few of the larger and more common White-breasted Nuthatch also came for a share of the bounty.

Brown-headed Nuthatch

A pair of browns and a Titmouse

A Brown-headed Nuthatch and a Carolina Chickadee

White-breasted Nuthatch

Northern Cardinal 


The afternoon project was baking cookies.  I found a recipe for pumpkin spice cookies that I've wanted to try.  They are good, but don't have a strong pumpkin flavor.  The recipe yielded 6 dozen small cookies.  Two dozen will go to the Matzeks for their trip to Middle Tenn this weekend. Two dozen will go in the freezer to take to Mississippi and two dozen will stay out for us to enjoy.  

Pumpkin-Spice Deliciousness

We planned an anniversary dinner at Calhouns on Melton Hill Lake in Oak Ridge.  Before going out, Bill presented me a beautiful card and a bottle of Champagne.  We toasted ourselves and our accomplishment of being happily married for 49 years.  What a journey it has been, with mountaintops and valleys along the way.  Through it all, we have persevered, finding joy and meaning along the way.


Friday, November 5

Down from the mountaintop.  I spent a few hours (actually 3 + 1 online) shopping for two teen girls for the Santa helper program.  The clothing selection at the Lenoir City Walmart was very limited so I went to Turkey Creek and found that it wasn't much better.  Nevertheless, I found all but one item for each girl.  After lunch I shopped online to complete their lists.  Supper tonight was Parmesan-crusted Haddock with fresh asparagus and baked potato.





No comments:

Post a Comment