Wednesday, November 3, 2021

The Journey Continues... Oct 25 - 31

Monday, October 25

A blustery rainy day at home didn't require me to leave to comfort of home.  On a "not much happening" day, I began reading a new book, "Regeneration: How to Solve the Climate Crisis in One Generation" by Paul Hawkens, with a beautiful introduction by Jane Goodall.

For supper, I made BiBimBap, using up the last of the port tenderloin that I cooked for dinner yesterday. Delicious.


Tuesday, October 26

Marie and I had lunch at Bonefish.  She had been gifted with a gift card and treated me.  After lunch, I did some shopping - a new fitted sheet for our king bed, a set of pillow protectors for my new pillows and a couple of clearance sale tank tops to wear under sweaters.

At home, I had time for reading and walking on the treadmill.  I continued my shopping online and bought a new slipcover for our couch.


Wednesday, October 27

The morning was filled with a UMW officer meeting and a short visit with Pastor Linda. Bonnie invited me for shrimp for lunch which I gladly accepted.  She is facing the loss of her beloved cat Neyland, 13 years old. After lunch, I had several shopping errands in town and I also got my flu shot.  

By the time I got home, Bill had finalized arrangements for renting a small (5x9) storage unit in Eaton Crossroads.  He had collected a number of items to take - fishing gear, beach gear and the Christmas tree.  We also took the summer fans and a couple of bins of RV stuff that we don't use, but don't want to get rid of. 

Over the winter our goal is to clean out the attic and not use it for regular storage.  Lots of stuff stored there can be given away or tossed out and the keeper items can stay put or go to the storage unit.


Thursday, October 28

Another rainy day presented a good opportunity to catch up on desk work.  I spent several hours writing checks for our UMW mission giving.  I am the Treasurer and we voted earlier about how we wanted to distribute the proceeds from THE SALE.  I sent $2250 to ten different organizations whose work helps women, children and youth in need and the elderly in need.  I prepared the cover letters and envelopes and got it all in the mail. 


Friday, October 29

Another dreary, potentially boring day.  I cleaned up the utility room, sort of, and collected some coats and sweaters for the KARM coat drive.  I couldn't think of any excuse to avoid the treadmill.  I listened to an interesting podcast by Nadia Bolz-Weber.  The series is called "Confessional" and I added it to my follow list.

My climate research today was about toilet paper.  I've tried bamboo paper from Grove. The quality is ok, but I don't like the idea that it is manufactured in and imported from China.  I've learned that most TP sold in the US is made in the US or Canada.  P&G, which makes the Charmin that we have used for years, sources all its fiber from Canadian Virgin boreal forests.  This is NOT acceptable to me.  Kimberly-Clark makes a Scott brand TP from 100% recycled fiber and they recycle locally, so that is an attractive alternative. The Scott Essential TP is sold at some Walmarts and I'll be on the lookout for it to try.  Whole Foods' 365 Brand is also made from recycled fiber and can be ordered on Amazon.  I'll also test it.


Saturday, October 30

The main event today was attending a reception honoring my friend, retired history teacher and historian Joe Spence.  A former student donated a $10,000 endowment to support the work of the Lenoir City Cotton Mill Association and Loudon County Museum in Joe's honor.  The reception was in a new venue in downtown Lenoir City.  

Joe with our friend Amanda


I ran into Art Stewart and Monte Ross there.  I had recently ordered his newest poetry volume, "Uncoils a Snake," along with another volume published earlier this year, "The Hallelujah Series."  His poetry brings together the worlds of science and poetry with keen insight and beautiful expressiveness.


Sunday, October 31

For our Sunday School this morning I asked people to share a story of a "saint" who had impacted their faith development.  We enjoyed hearing one another's stories. 

We don't normally have trick-or-treaters, but we made a point to invite our little neighbors Lincoln and Tucker Bolt to stop by.  They were adorable, but I let them get away without a picture.










No comments:

Post a Comment