Monday, November 22, 2021

The Journey Continues, Home Again - November 15-22

Monday, November 15

I was fortified with leftover waffles for the long drive home.  Before starting out, I went to Simmons Catfish processing plant, just down the road from Park's.  I was there when they opened at 8 am and bought a 15 lb box of frozen fillets to stock our freezer.

Instead of following Google Maps advice, I went cross-country to pick up I-55 to Winona where I got US 80 which would carry me to Tuscaloosa.  It might have been slightly longer, but it was a scenic drive that avoided the congestion around Jackson.  Because of heavy traffic, I detoured again at Chattanooga and took Hwy 27 home.  Altogether it took me about 9 hours.  I was SO glad to get home to my Bill and my bed!   We had fried catfish for supper!


Tuesday, November 16

How wonderful to wake up in my own bed, beside my lifelong honey, to have coffee delivered to me by his loving hand.  Of course, I had laundry to do and groceries to buy, but my body needed rest after late nights and lots of driving.  I didn't push too hard today. My Tennessee sunsets are beautiful, too.


Wednesday, November 17

Our neighbor lunch was shifted from Thursday to today at Connie's house.  I picked up Kathy on the way.  Our table was complete and our conversation was fun.  We stayed until 2.  I promised Bill that I would be home by then for an outing with him.

Today was mild and sunny so we wanted to "do something," which means go somewhere in the RV that perhaps includes a walk or hike.  After lunch, we decided to go to the "Quarry Trail" on the west edge of Oak Ridge.  We didn't know at the time that is was so named and there was no signage.  We had a lovely walk on an old road bed and passed two family cemeteries, but saw no sign of a quarry.  We later learned that we were almost there and would have have soon encountered the quarry and a loop back to the main trail.  Next time!

Quarry Trail

Fall Glory

Friday, November 19

More shopping for Santa's Helper gifts, again for 2 teen boys.  I was able to find clothing at Walmart, but had to order the "gift" items.  It doesn't sound like much, but it was very time consuming.


Saturday, November 20

The Saturday before Thanksgiving is reserved for the Good Samaritan Center Thanksgiving Basket distribution.  I got to the St. Thomas parking lot a little after 8 and found that the early volunteers had everything almost ready to go for a 9 am start.  Since cars were beginning to line up, they started early and by closing at noon had distributed boxes of food to more than 300 Loudon County families.  Clients apply at GSC in November and receive a voucher which they present today to get their food boxes and a $15 Food City card for ham, turkey or fresh vegetables.  The food boxes contain all the 'fixings' for Thanksgiving dinner: canned green beans, yams and corn, stuffing mix, gravy, cake mix and frosting, pie filling, rolls.  They even get a pack of toilet paper thanks to a donation by Tate & Lyle (Laura helps arrange that!)  Many volunteers work every year and the community financial support is terrific.  It is one of the highlights of our GSC year.

Time stamp: 8:24 am.  It begins.

Receiving vouchers and handing our Food City cards

Station 1 boxes being loaded

On to Station 2

Finally, the toilet paper!

Sunday, November 21

In Sunday School on this Christ the King Sunday, the last of the liturgical year, we discussed what we expect/understand of the "kingdom of God."

A marvelous string quartet provided special music for worship this morning.  After the service, the Thomas family celebrated Sol's 90th birthday by providing a catered dinner for everyone.  It was the first meal we've had together in months, a joyous occasion.


Sol Thomas in the red tie.  Mike Matzek's sister Monica, standing behind her husband Mark Thomas. Mike Thomas across the table.


Monday, November 22

This afternoon I joined Walter and a small group of the faithful to decorate the sanctuary, including the Chrismon tree, for the Advent/Christmas season.






No comments:

Post a Comment