Sunday, January 16, 2022

January Days, 13-15

Thursday, Jan 12

Occasionally I need a day for shopping errands.  This was it. I started at Wild Birds Unlimited Knoxville.  My little birds are emptying 4 feeders every other day and my hobby is getting a little costly. Wild Birds has high quality bird feed and with their member discount it actually costs a little less that Tractor Supply.  It is not as convenient, however, because it is located just past West Town Mall in Knoxville.  From there I worked my way back to Costco where I wandered around just looking and purchased some new towels, then on to Bed, Bath and Beyond in search of a king flat sheet.  No luck.  I always find what I want at Total Wine and am now stocked up on my house white.  By then it was well past lunch time, so I headed home.  No cooking tonight as the chicken pot pies made another appearance.


Friday, Jan 14

Marie and I were scheduled for lunch today but with COVID so hot, I invited her to come here for lunch instead of eating out as we usually do.  I made chicken vegetable noodle soup. Served with homemade bread, it made a great light lunch to go with our usual good conversation.

Claire and Amanda stopped by later for a visit.  Amanda is adjusting to having to go to school at 8 am every day and having a full schedule - CP History, AP Chemistry, Pre-calculus and Creative Writing. Between COVID home schooling and last semester's college English class, she hasn't gone to school full time in a couple of years. Her chemistry teacher, my friend Keith Garrett, has been on COVID quarantine and teaching class by ZOOM.  He was back today for the first time this semester.  Her creative writing teacher has also been out, so that class which she has been looking forward to has not really developed yet.   Pre-calc is hard and history is boring but at least it gives her time to finish other homework.  She has softball workouts 4 afternoons a week plus her job at the golf course on Thursday afternoon and sometimes on Saturday.  The schedule has been a little overwhelming, but he is hanging in there and doing well at it all.  Claire's classes don't resume until Tuesday after MLK day.  She is looking for to a challenging semester and really only dreading physics.  She is most enthusiastic about her lab job.  Unfortunately, it will be an unpaid job this semester due to funding vagaries.  She will also have a new roommate as one of the girls is not coming back.

In my on-going commitment to not be wasteful and use left-overs, I made salmon patties from Wednesday's leftover RT salmon and baked potato.

Salmon Patty from leftovers with asparagus and carrots from Costco



Saturday, Jan 15

Due to forecasts of snow, extreme cold and icing, the Matzek's cancelled their plans to go for a snow-boarding weekend.  They had booked a cabin at Roan Mountain State Park in upper East Tennessee and planned to ski at Beech Mountain in North Carolina.  They are disappointed, but had fun together at home.

I spent all day in the kitchen.  I made bread and shaped 2 of the loaves as baguettes.  One I will share with the Brocks.  I also made a big pot of gumbo, also enough to share.  I had a busy day and good food as a reward at the end.  I won't have to cook again tomorrow!

With predicted now a possibility and COVID still spreading wildly, church will be cancelled tomorrow.  I look forward to a cozy day at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment